The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, she is!!! My birthday is coming up and last night Joyce asked what I wanted for my birthday. Ordinarily I don't really care. Either of us want something we usually just get it. However, I've wanted a revolver to go along with the Uberti '73 since got it a few years ago. I'd been looking at Colt SAA's, Remington '75's and 90's and S&W #3's and Schofields and couldn't decide. Last night I made up my mind in an instant when the question caught me off guard. Yesterday this revolver was in stock and the seller said he had one left. 44-40 not being all that popular I hope it's still in stock this morning 'cause Joyce told me to order it...... 馃榿

Taylor's & Co. Schofield Charcoal Blue CH .44-40 Win 7" 0852C09 for sale (gunsinternational.com)

I've worked with a dozen Colt SAA's, a friends 1875 Remington and I do have an old #3 in 44 Russian I've fired about 50 times....but it's had the barrel bobbed, been buffed to death, re-blued and shoots about 2 ft. high at 20 feet. Sooo...I'm gonna play with one of these! Anyone else have one?

Premium Member
Sweet!!!! Those are so cool .Came close a few times to buying one but always backed out and got something else for some reason . . Am impressed a #3 Russian also . Sure you know the history of them with the US cavalry so won't rehash it . Top breaks are so neat . I got a Webley IV in 45 and do have a Schofield revolver but it shoots .177 if you know what I mean !!!!!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
It's a bit ironic. I am such a nerd for being traditional I'd never own a '73, '92 or '86 or clone in a cartridge for which it was never originally chambered. I am familiar with the Schofield history and Major Schofiled....and I don't believe the Schofiled was ever originally chambered in anything other than 45 S&W, was it? I need to look that up. That one is in 44-40....does that make me a hypocrite?........... :sick:

Registered
The Smith & Wesson Schofield was never available in any cartridge except 45 Smith & Wesson.

Back 20 or so years ago when they brought them out for cowboy shooting, Armi San Marco made them in 45 Smith & Wesson. Exact copies. Uberti made them in 45 Colt. Very close copies, except that the longer cylinder required a longer frame opening.

Unfortunately Armi San Marco had and still has, a bad rep. And 45 Smith & Wesson ammunition was, at the time, hard to come by. So the ASM gun kind of went by the wayside, and the Uberti became the only reproduction around.

Then Beretta got into the old west gun game. They bought Uberti, maybe,?? But they brought out a Schofield under the Beretta name. They called it the Laramie. And it came in 38 Special.

Then between the Beretta Laramie and the Uberti Schofield they started chambering them in all sorts of different cartridges, and making them with both fixed and adjustable sights. Tradition is wonderful. But making stuff the customer wants to buy is even more wonderful. :p

By the way, I wish to thank you for saying "#3". I get so majorly irked when somebody talks about a Smith & Wesson Model 3.

You know that the #3 was a frame size, right? It referred to the 44 caliber frame size, just like now the N frame refers to the 44 caliber frame size. The Schofield was then, and still is, a #3.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
sooner, the closest I'm going to get is a fake....or to be polite, a reproduction....almost...except for the cartridge.

No different for me when someone says "Hawkins"....arrrrrrgghghhh. It is HAWKEN!!!!! Hawkins is a character in the Robert Louis Stevenson novel, Treasure Island.

I did know that about the S&W #3 Alpo. I was pretty certain the 45 S&W was the only cartridge the Schofield was ever chambered in but I am also pretty ignorant of the early S&W's details. Kinda like the 1875 and I think 1890 Remington's, the only cartridge they were ever chambered for was the 44-40.....I think. I know the 1875 was that way. The 1890, I'm not so certain.

I don't know if Beretta bought Uberti. I thought they were still a stand alone company but I wouldn't trust what I know about the Italian firearms industry any father than I could throw a dump truck.

Edit: Ha...if you snooze you lose. The one they had sold yesterday. The search continues. I have another lead.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
Well goody, goody! Friend called and told me to call Dave, our local pawn shop/gun dealer that he thought he could get one. I called, Dave has one on the way and should be here maybe by the end of the week.....he hopes....me too! Good deal, local business and it was $50.00 less expensive.

Registered
Back 20 or so years ago when they brought them out for cowboy shooting, Armi San Marco made them in 45 Smith & Wesson. Exact copies. Uberti made them in 45 Colt. Very close copies, except that the longer cylinder required a longer frame opening.
Unless they've changed Uberti didn't make the cylinder opening bigger. They eliminated the gas ring at the front of the cylinder. As a result they don't do very well with black powder.

TFF Chaplain
I don't know if Beretta bought Uberti.
According to Wikipedia:
Uberti is located in Gardone V.T., a suburb of Brescia, Italy, that has for centuries been the home to other firearm manufacturers and similar craft businesses. Independent for many years, Uberti was purchased and made into a subsidiary of Beretta Firearms and subsequently acquired by Benelli,[when?] also a member of the Beretta Holding Company.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._Uberti,_Srl.#cite_note-Lee2013-2

Looking forward to see what you get, and what new adventure you start out on.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I still have about 1/2 a box of 50 loaded with BP. So once I play with some smokeless rounds there's no doubt some of the BP rounds will be tried. I can see needing some more 44-40 brass as I only have 100 rounds. Reckon I better start lookin'.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #16
Don, I did just that and they have Starline 44-40 in stock, or the web site said they do, and I called....apparently about 10 minutes after they closed. First thing on the list tomorrow. Web site said they weren't taking on line orders at the moment. Thanks for the heads up!

Trap, I didn't want a 45, I have three already, a 3rd Gen Colt, a clone and a Freedom Arms Mod. 97. I wanted a 44-40 to go with my '73 clone in 44-40. I had a Colt clone SAA in 44-40 years ago and just thought I'd play with something I hadn't played with before. I'd been toying with the idea of getting one ever since I bought the '73...what's that, 2 years ago I think? Anyway, I wasn't pursuing it very seriously until Joyce asked what I wanted for my birthday. Perfect time to broach the subject....since she had already broached it.....:D

Premium Member
Glad it worked out for you !!! Get some pictures and a range report put up when you can , love to take a look at your new toy !! I like shooting black in my repro Colt Peacemaker sometimes for giggles and grins and to show someone what the westerns we see on TV are getting wrong !!!!!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks joe. I'll know in the morning. Huntington's web site says they do, we'll see if it's right.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts