The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
TFF Chaplain
23,822 Posts
They are all from NYcity (Long Island)and have given grief to all the surrounding land owners.
Do they own the land they are supposed to hunt on or do they just rent or have the landowners' permission to hunt there? If it does not belong to them, can you and your neighbors put pressure on the landowner to not let them come out to hunt or even be there?

·
Premium Member
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Do they own the land they are supposed to hunt on or do they just rent or have the landowners' permission to hunt there? If it does not belong to them, can you and your neighbors put pressure on the landowner to not let them come out to hunt or even be there?
They lease the land from a logging co. And they do not care what they do. The have a few hundred acres and have (from what I am told) over 50 members.
The logging road goes along the property line and at one of the corners of my land it is right there. You can see my stand and the opening of the red pines I hunt from that point. It is like 200+ yards from my stand.

·
Premium Member
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
A leash? You killed somebody's pet? :eek: Just messin wit ya. That's going to be some good eating and good on ya for giving those other guys some payback.
It took me min. to figure out what you meant by leash then I looked at my picture and saw what you are talking about. No that is not a leash it is a control rope so he does not start kicking while I gut him and then left on so he does not run or try to run away :rolleyes: o_O:ROFLMAO:...

·
Super Moderator
47,454 Posts
It took me min. to figure out what you meant by leash then I looked at my picture and saw what you are talking about. No that is not a leash it is a control rope so he does not start kicking while I gut him and then left on so he does not run or try to run away :rolleyes: o_O:ROFLMAO:...
The second I saw it, I thought is was one of those harnesses that you tie the rope to the deer and use the "backpack" harness to drag the deer out of the woods.

·
No Power Options
6,863 Posts
We learned early on to overlook certain things when we had property down in the bottoms. Not uncommon to see cabins burned down, stands and feeders stolen.
Poachers on our property was pretty bad for awhile due to the fact we wern`t down there very often, but that changed quickly once we began to show up and run trails
and just random visits to stay at camp for a weekend. Once everyone had an understanding we would overlook certain offenses but not others we all got along.
Our case was a little different though as most down there were property owners.
Nice buck BTW.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So I will start with yesterday (Opening day) I got to my stand and got in (I blew out my knee a week or 2 ago so I had to use the 4-wheeler) And I had 2 young does start across and saw the 4-wheeler and booked so I was not in a good mood even though I would not have shot them (Too small) this told me the day was not going to be good.
As some of you already know I have problems with the hunting camp that leese the land below me well yester day 2 of them came by and stopped as I was trying to see what they wanted a deer came in from the new land next to me (I say new because I am in the middle of buying all 15 acres) The buck saw them and booked he was not close enough to see his size or how many points he was so anyway these jerks yelled "I hope you don't see anything" and shot off there guns which blew out my afternoon hunting.
Now onto today.
I woke up at 4:30 herd the wind and saw it was snowing so I turned off the 5am alarm but could not get back to sleep.
So I got up not expecting to go out due to the forecast of steady winds with gusts up to 30mph and heavy snow squaws.
Then the next thing I know I was getting dressed to go out. I told my wife that I was going anyway even if the temp was 12 degrees with wind chills in the single digits to below 0.
I got to my stand (I walked this time) at 7:30am 2 hours later then normal At 8:30 the snow was coming down so hard I could not even see my 10 yard mark. I had to close all the windows and watch thru the plexeglass windows then it stopped around 10 and It was COLD AS HECK but decided to stay till noon. The sky turned blue I opened the windows.
Now that buck I saw yesterday came around 10:30- 11:00 and at 10:39 he came back but did not want to come out into the open so I grunted and he turned and came close enough for me to see he was a 8 point so I grunted again and he walked in behind some ground cover so I took a high lung shot knowing with my .50 he would not go far. He went 10 yards and rolled.
I got fresh meat mmmmmmmm.
As I was field dressing him the same 2 4-wheelers came by and stopped (I know they herd my shot) And I yelled down "Yea thats right I got a huge buck and you got wet and cold have a great day" They yelled some stuff and took off.
I think that felt as good as shooting the buck did.
Here are some pictures.
View attachment 286224 View attachment 286225 View attachment 286226
Congratulations

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Reminds me of a few years ago, my brother shot a big 6 point (3pt for you on the west coast) about 75 yards from the corner of his garage that is our butcher shop during deer season. He figured he would just drag it into the garage and skin it out and then gut it to minimize the hair on the meat removal. He leaned is gun against the tree, got into the drag rope, put the other end around the head/antlers, and started dragging. The deer stopped. He thought it was caught on a fallen tree but when he turned around, it was standing looking at him! His gun was about 25 yards behind the deer at this point. He tried to put a tree between he and the deer, but the deer kept moving with him. Eventually he tired of trying to play hide-and-seek with the deer and pulled his knife out and charged the deer, slitting the deer's throat to dispatch him. Then he continued his drag to the butcher shop. All is a day's hunt!

·
Registered
8,666 Posts
An 8 point buck out here would be something to behold! You Easterners count the bumps too?:)
Out here, that would be a 3 point, regardless, nice buck Mike!
Always wondered how the point count difference started, and is there a East/West, or North/South boundary for that?
What do y'all call a 4X3? Down here it would be a 7 point.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Congratulations on KILLING a nice buck!! (y):D I know you've hunted hard for a while and I hope you enjoy every bit of it. Even the raspberries to the cornholio's from the city.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts