The Firearms Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

· Premium Member
23,415 Posts
A 4x3, or 4 point.

I think you guys out East, just don't want to give the first liar a chance!:giggle:
Just think of it this way Trapps. You shoot a 4 point out west then you go back east to visit some family or friends now you can tell them you shot a 8 point. Just listen to all their OOHS and AHHS when you tell the story about the 8 point. You tell them it was a 4 pointer and most of them don't even bother to stop their card game.;)

· Registered
5,536 Posts
Good deal! More than a little jealous. I’ve been hunting for somewhere to hunt since moving and now the season is over I might have found a good place. Gonna be checking it out in spring.

· Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
These coastal Blacktails are a little bigger than a Jackalope. One the size of Mike's buck would be bragging rights. We have Mule deer in the NE part of the state, and a few places in the Sierras, but they are getting rare to find. I've seen a couple of Mule deer/Blacktail crossbreeds. Bigger than a Blacktail, heavy body, but short legs, and usually a silver blue color.

· Registered
8,795 Posts
Just think of it this way Trapps. You shoot a 4 point out west then you go back east to visit some family or friends now you can tell them you shot a 8 point. Just listen to all their OOHS and AHHS when you tell the story about the 8 point. You tell them it was a 4 pointer and most of them don't even bother to stop their card game.;)
Brag about a 4 point down here and you'll get a sarcastic "well good for you" or the womenfolk will say "well bless your heart". :ROFLMAO:

· Premium Member
23,415 Posts
A question for all the folks who "Harvested" their deer. How deep and when do plant a deer you intend to harvest during the season?
I can't wait for the answer, cause i messed up somehow on my planting depth. Nothing has sprouted yet not even a tweety bird! :(

· Registered
2,727 Posts
Well a little spike got to run off in the woods this morning. Seen him about 500 yards out on the other end of the corn field. I was walking (tip toeing) down the farm road to get a closer shot and got intercepted by about a 30 lbs raccoon and his buddy a skunk. The raccoon took off when he saw me and the skunk just stayed there piddlin around in the path. They were only about 2 feet apart. Well I took about a 20yard swing around that skunk. By the time I got around him and where I could get a bead on the little deer he was gone. The corn hasn't been cut yet so you have to get on the ball of a hill to get a shot over the stalks.

I may try again late today and again in the morning. My freezer is hungry. It don't care if they have 4 on one side or on both together or none at all :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
2,727 Posts
I am going out this Saturday to see if I can score a doe. I am not allowed to go today and Friday I have to many customers coming in to get there guns so Sat. is the day.
Need more meat.
I hear yah. That small one this morning would have been good eatin. Looked like maybe his first winter (55-65lbs maybe - a knot head). Probably more of them out in the field but couldn't see em for the corn.

· Premium Member
23,415 Posts
I am going out this Saturday to see if I can score a doe. I am not allowed to go today and Friday I have to many customers coming in to get there guns so Sat. is the day.
Need more meat.
Good luck to you, Mike. I'll have 2 doe tags this year when i go down there. The guy i hunt with transferred his to me since he's decided not to go. And by the looks of things i'll still have my buck tag unless something breaks for me in the next couple of days. Lots of hope on that front.:( Hopefully i see something brown with 4 legs.

· Registered
2,727 Posts
Meat on the ground this morning - 👍
Spike maybe 105# dressed. Was a little rainy so decided to hunt the wood trail leading to and from the corn field this morning. Your turn @joe45c 😯

Vertebrate Wood Fawn Terrestrial animal Tail

80 yrds 357mag w/ 158 xtp and 18g lil'gun. Two shots both thru heart & lung cavity. Slug is still in the cross side hide from the 80yrd first shot. Second shot pass through on an angle at about 50 yrds. Hit the ground dead on second shot.

Recovered slug - went through a rib on both sides and stopped in the hide.
Tin Communication Device Wood Gas Telephony

· Registered
8,795 Posts
I was walking (tip toeing) down the farm road to get a closer shot
I never tiptoe. I take two or three steps and then stop for a minute. Kind of like a deer does when grazing. Take two or three steps etc. Deer will pick up on tiptoeing. Walking like I do most of the time they don't pay any attention at all. It may take me longer to get there but I've killed a lot of deer walking like that.

· Registered
1,928 Posts
We hit the woods tomorrow! Rainy today but should be a clear day tomorrow. Getting the Christmas lights up today so that is done and over with and we can focus on what is important ... hunting. 2 of my buddies are not hunting this year because of surgeries (back and brain), so I have to fill a lot of tags to keep their families in venison for the coming year also!

· Registered
2,727 Posts
I never tiptoe. I take two or three steps and then stop for a minute. Kind of like a deer does when grazing. Take two or three steps etc. Deer will pick up on tiptoeing. Walking like I do most of the time they don't pay any attention at all. It may take me longer to get there but I've killed a lot of deer walking like that.
I do that too - make sound like squirrel. I just meant quitely. Just don't step on a stick and break it - they'll book up right quick like and in a hurry.

· TFF Chaplain
23,860 Posts
Prayers for good safe hunting and full freezers. Have fun, guys.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts