Got a dish of the kung-flu

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by howlnmad, May 31, 2020.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

2. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

3. rawright54

rawright54 Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work Supporting Member

You're making me very hungry, howlnmad! I'm curious, though; what are those pasty things at the lower right? Looks like poached dentures...

Luckily, I found 4 rib eyes that have been in the freezer longer than I like. They're about to become beef stroganoff, after a few hours of simmering.:p

4. howlnmad

Those are pan fried dumplings. It's a pasta stuffed with a pork mixture. They steam them first and then fry one side. Compliment with the dipping sauce. Yum.

5. ysacres

ysacres Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Yes those are Bill's dentures and a spare set, he had to take them out to eat the rice.:D

6. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I just did the last package of elk burger I found buried in the freezer for supper tonight. I partial froze the meat and then vac sealed it way back when. It looked perfect. How old was it? I haven't drawn an elk tag in 4 years. It tasted mighty fine. I hope I finally draw that impossible to draw elk tag this year, I almost forgot how much better than beef it is.

7. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

That is not Kung Flu, grasshopper, that is Kung Food.

8. howlnmad

It was dang tasty.

9. deingy

deingy Well-Known Member

Just got offered cold breakfast cereal for Sunday supper. Enough of this stay at home. Can I still volunteer for SEA or a remote tour?

10. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

OK now i have lost my Appetite!:( Thanks Larry.:mad:

11. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nice. All I have is a pork belly in the smoker becoming a slab of bacon.

12. rawright54

rawright54 Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work Supporting Member

I haven't tasted elk, excepting some really good chili, since about 1988 - 1991. I was travelling to F.E. Warren AFB regularly, and met a delightful lady in the bar in Cheyenne one evening. We got to be an occasional "item" (since I lived so far away), but we got together whenever I had to visit the E-lab. Since she lived in Denver, she delighted in showing me new places there, before I had to make the long trek up I-25 to Cheyenne. One of them was called the "Firehouse," I believe. It was a two story bar and restaurant in a brick building filled with stuffed critters - I don't believe I could have found room on the walls for another jackalope! Clearly intended to be a hunting lodge, though it was originally a firehouse. I seem to recall that it had Denver business license #1 hanging on the wall, but that was a long time ago.

Louise ordered elk, I had bison. The appetizer was alligator, tempura-style. Wow! That was some awesome lizard - much like properly cooked calamari, tender as a worm and delicately flavored. And no, it doesn't taste anything like chicken. The bison sucked; dry, tough, flavorless. But she let me sample her elk, and I think I did a trick like that dog of Quick Draw McGraw's when he got a biscuit. Unbelievable flavor, and tender as can be.

Alas, I've been searching with Google to find it, but it appears to be gone, replaced by a thousand Vietnamese restaurants... :(

13. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Now, there was some pleasant exchanges....we used to call the commissary rating guys
    'Stew Burners' or 'Belly-Robbers'....Some of the best food I ever had in my whole life was
    during my navy days... Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast was a breakfast classic and navy
    Mulligan Beef Stew with cornbread was so memorable that when we have guests for a meal
    my wife allows me to prepare that as I remember it...not watery but thick and savory as
    food can get....I use packets of McCormick stew beef spices that are perfect. Surely, all
    you old Rowdies know that breakfast meal above as SOS.. That old standby has rated more
    giggles and laughs with that SOS titled tacked on...BTW, who was that Dude, Mulligan...
    sounded Irish? That picture platter above looked to be a new discovery...just never had
    a hankering for Chink-Chow...Mexican food now is my most favored and being recognized at
    our go-too bistro all the time sure helps in portion size and attention...Some food favorers
    mention steak and eggs , to which I have never tried...steak is for supper and eggs for those
    wake-up hours...maybe a really large baked potato ....spud with steak...yeah, soon to be
    on my mess plans...Chief

14. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

Man, that looks real good. You hungry yet, it's only good for 5 minutes.

15. Virginia Patriot

Virginia Patriot Well-Known Member

That sure does look good! Maybe I'll get out my wok and stir fry some venison sweet and sour!

howlnmad likes this.