Got a new 'yote rifle.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Bindernut, May 6, 2009.

1. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Well I finally broke down and found me a new varmint shooter this afternoon.

Howa 1500, stainless with Advantage camo stock in .204Ruger.
    Brand new in box, this one had been on the rack at the local Sportsmans Warehouse for a while now and they had marked it down a couple times just to get it off the shelf.

It was either this one or a sweet little CZ527 American but I just couldn't bring myself to throw a snow-camo paint job onto that beautiful CZ walnut so I went for the Howa instead. A $150 cheaper pricetag...and it being stainless...were pretty big factors too. :D

Now...does anyone know for sure what the twist is on the Howa .204 barrels? I can't find any info online.
    Does anyone here have a Howa in .204 and what's it's bullet weight preference? I'm hoping it'll group good with 35-40gr.

Will need to post up some pics of it when I get a scope on it.

2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Good hunting Bindernut. May you take many 'yotes with your new gun.

Jeff

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Binder, from what I have read the twist rate is 1 in 12.

I do not have a Howa, my .204 is an H&R Handi Rifle with a 1 in 12 twist 22 inch barrel. I have shot both 40 grain and 32 grain Hornady A-max bullets in that rifle. I had terrible results with the 40 grain bullet, it would not stablize at all in that barrel. The bullets tumbled and were hitting everywhere. The 32 grain bullet is very accurate, even in the H&R.

4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

What 40s were you shooting in your NEF gd?
    I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems that the best chance at a stable 40gr in the .204 is the Hornady V-Max and the Nosler BT was the hardest to get to group well.
    I grabbed a couple big boxes of Hornady factory loads (32gr and 40gr), but need to get dies and other goodies for reloading yet.

I'm still deciding on what to scope it with too. This is mainly gonna be a walking gun for yotes, but I'll probably take it on a poodleshoot or two too. I've still got a couple older Swift 3-9x40 sitting on the shelf but I might go with more magnification or at least a larger objective for low light.

5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I was using the Hornady V-max, the 32 grain is also the V-max. I think it is because of the 22 inch barrel, another 2 inches would probably stabilize them!

EDIT: I don't usually loal my ammo very hot, so I might try to make a few rounds a little hotter to see if that does it.

Last edited: May 8, 2009