The Firearms Forum banner

got another one hooked!

733 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 · (Edited)
One of my BP shooting buddies called me the other day, he fell into a 50cal cap n ball carbine length gun Friday , while golfing. Got it for a song.

Half stock, blade front adj semi buckhorn rear, no brass accents.

His other long gun is also a 50cal cap n ball, about 5" more bbl, same sights, lots of brass.. Nose piece, accents, but strap, patchbox .

He likes it, but its heavy, the new carbine, with no brass, and 5" or so less hex barrell feels lil almost half the weight. He immediately liked it better.

He was gonna retire the other rifle, but, sunday we were playing cards and his brother came over, he shoots modern gun and bow with us, but has no BP guns.

My buddy gave his brother the rifle.

To get him started, I went thru my stuff and gave him a tub of maxi lube I had been using but stopped in favor of home made lube. A bag of balls, and a mostly full tin of #11 caps. A ball starter I made 25+ ys ago, and subsequently replaced with a newer one. A full flask of pyrodex RS, a sheet of muslin to use as patching ( I have a few yards of it still ) and made him some fixed powder measures in 5gr increments from 50 thru 70, out of old shells and a po' mans nipple pick ( small dia steel wire )

Printed him a list of supplies he will eventually need to get to continue shooting after his starter pack exhausts.

He already has rods n jags n swabs n mops. Gave him a 35mm film bottle with some concentrated bore soap.

Once he gets caught up on bills, he can get more powder, an adj measure, and other goodies, but for now we got him hooked up.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yup, the brass nose and 4-5" of bbl made a huge difference.

The carbine goes to shoulder and points well, not like holding a shovel, blade out at your shoulder.

Yep, he'll be hooked, cheaply too. We make our own balls and lube, wads, etc. Usually take one day a month to stock back up on everything.

Powder and caps will be the bulk of his cost now.

With loads from 50-70 he will be using 1.25-1.5 tins o'er can of powder... Not bad, occasionally find RS here for 19$, but usually 25$, with caps off the shelf 7-8$ ( much cheaper when we do a bulk hazmat tag buy ).. Which we aren't quite ready for yet, but soon... I think we have about 10# powder and 1300 caps left yet. Bow season cuts into our smokepole time ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.