The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those still looking, I got 5000 CCI 500 primers today from Graf and Sons (www.grafs.com), and from the sound of the emails we swapped, they may have received a large shipment. Get on the phone, or place an online order and wait; they don't update the website to say "In Stock" anymore, just fill orders in the order received. If you need 'em, it's worth a phone call (800.531.2666) in the morning.

By way of updating, I saw primers at Big 5 sporting goods today, in every size but small rifle, and only Winchester brand (which I have not seen good reviews about). The local independent gun stores are getting powder and brass, but no primers or bullets. Walmart still has 40' of empty shelves where ammo used to live. Odd calibers and .22 rimfire guns abound, but .22 shooters have been spotted at Home Depot, staring at the Remington nail gun power shots, wondering if they can be reloaded. It's been a long time since anyone here has seen a brick of .22 Long Rifle on the shelf...

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
To be clear there is nothing wrong with Winchester primers. I have used them almost exclusively for 20 years. In a magazine article done a few years back the Winchester primers in almost every size were rated the most energetic, based on testing.

Primer problems most often are caused by the reloader not fully seating the primers in their primer cups in the brass. They MUST be below flush by a couple of thousandths of an inch. When seated properly you can feel that they are below flush with your finger.

Some brands don't like Progressive presses. Since I mostly use Winchester primers in my Dillon RL550B I can not tell which those are. But long ago CCI primers were deemed to have too thick of a cup and would be difficult in almost any press. I doubt that is true today (???).

LDBennett

1 - 2 of 2 Posts