Congratulations!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
very healthy lookin' deer, I'm jealous!

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
Nice buck! I would shoot him on my property. But he is illegal in my part of TX!
A legal buck deer is defined as having a hardened antler protruding through the skin AND:

.At least one unbranched antler; or

.An inside spread measurement between main beams of 13 inches or greater; or

.Six points or more on one antler.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nice buck! I would shoot him on my property. But he is illegal in my part of TX!
A legal buck deer is defined as having a hardened antler protruding through the skin AND:

.At least one unbranched antler; or

.An inside spread measurement between main beams of 13 inches or greater; or

.Six points or more on one antler.
Am I reading that correctly? It sounds to me like a buck must either be a spike or a large racked buck.

We have it pretty good here in Alabama. Between archery and gun seasons, we have a 3 1/2 month long deer season with a limit of two a day, one of which can be a buck. There is a three buck season limit. One of the three must have at least 4 points on one side. We don't have to fool with tags or checking them in anywhere. We do have a harvest record we are supposed to fill out when we kill a buck. Nobody has ever checked my harvest record.

So if I killed the limit every day of the season, I could legally kill about 210 deer per season. Of course with the three buck limit, at least 207 would have to be does.

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
Am I reading that correctly? It sounds to me like a buck must either be a spike or a large racked buck.
That's what it sounds like. MS doesn't have a points requirement but it does have to have a 10 inch inside spread or a 13 inch main beam.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
If you make any jerky from some of that meat I wouldn't mind a care package ;)
Nice deer!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you make any jerky from some of that meat I wouldn't mind a care package ;)
Nice deer!
Most of my deer goes into jerky. Everybody at home likes it, everybody at church likes it (I believe one guy there might almost kill for it. He will do anything I want. All I have to do is promise him some jerky!), and everybody at work liked it (I say liked because I retired three weeks ago.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts