The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
$1300. I now am deciding to purchase a home defense revolver. Im thinking of going with a Ruger .44 mag

What do you think? Any other suggestions? I could imagine it would have plenty of power. I had a smith and wesson model 5906 semi auto 9mm but I sold it 3 years ago. Im not going to get my CHL though.
.44 caliber is a good choice. Shoot .44 specials for home defence, and the magnum rounds for hunting. Have you looked at the S&W M&P R8? 8 rounds of .357 magnum, or 8 rounds of .38 special. I like Rugers better than Smiths, but then Ruger, as far as I know, don't make an 8 shot revolver!

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
I'm looking at picking up a Ruger 44 next month too. I just can't decide between the Redhawk and Blackhawk :)
IMHO, the Blackhawk is the way to go. Not because it's cheaper, but because there is no way to get off that second shot any faster than with the single action, and still hit what you want to shoot. On the other hand, if it's to be a HD gun, then load it up with the .44 special, and the Redhawk wins in this application.

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
I wonder what kind of revolvers Doc Holliday and the Earps used in the 1800's?
.36, .44, .45 caliber in hand guns. And yes, the .44 special will shoot in the .44 magnum. Both bullets are the same diameter, the 44 magnums are longer, so you can get more powder in them, and the longer case won't fit in the .44 speical revolvers. Just like .38, and .357 magnum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.