The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in an LGS the other day that was/is selling parkerized Springfield 1911's, fixed sights with four mags for $699.00. Seems like a great deal to me but what do I know? As I'd like at some point to add adjustable sights I was wondering if it would be a reasonable solution to purchase a second/replacement slide already with adjustable sights. I know that a gunsmith can machine the original slide and add the adjustable sights but buying a second slide sounds like a much easier fix. Your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
43,381 Posts
My first thought is that the price is about $50 to $70 too much for a plain fixed sight Springfield. If it were me, I would go ahead and buy one with adjustable sight right off the bat.

·
Premium Member
10,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you George but in these parts that seems a reasonable price. Maybe I need to spend some time on the Internet.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If it has fixed sights it should at least have a dovetail so you can fit adjustable without too much hassle.
If it doesn't I would pass and look for something else.

You could buy another slide but it it's not like you can just slap on any 1911 slide and have it work. It may need fitting.

In short, find something else ;)

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Damn, that is a pretty little pistol!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
If you are going through all the trouble of putting on adj sights on a 1911, then may I suggest going with a lower priced 1911. The reason being once you have your adj sights then you will naturally want to tighten the slide. Then you will probably replace the barrel. Then you will want and adj trigger. And so on.

Every person I know that has put adj sights on a 1911 (encluding me) has always gone on to adding or modifying the 1911 . After all , since you have adj sights then you should make it a bit more accurate so you can get the full use out of those expensive adj sights.

·
Premium Member
10,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You all have given me some great advice. Not really sure what I was thinking. I'll be saving my nickel and dimes and get what I want from the start.

·
Administrator
32,812 Posts
Too much for that Springfield Armory 1911.
You can buy an STI Spartan for less money with all
the bells and whistles. Match ready out of the box.

·
Premium Member
10,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds good Sam. Guess I'm stuck in trying to scratch two itches with the same finger (metaphor)
One is that I have the same rifle carried by Sargeant York and would like to get the sidearm as well. Then the other is that I want to get as much accuracy as I can out of my guns. Guess they are two different beasts. The only solution I can come up with is to buy both :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts