The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I messed up! I was working on one of those "Ring of Fire" guns, a Jennings 22, it's been having feeding problem and extractiin issues. I was sitting on the back porch adjusting the lips on the magazine. I got a round stuck and while trying to get the slide to pull back, the dang thing went off. Shot a hole through the wall on the back porch. DOH!

·
TFF Chaplain
18,891 Posts
Nobody was hurt. It was a .22, not a .50BMG, so the hole is not too big and should be easy to fix, unless you want to make up some dark story about how it got there. You didn't say if anything was hit on the other side of the wall.

You had the gun pointed in a safe direction.

You kept the damage to a minimum. Well done. God was protecting you.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Yup, it happens to the best of us, glad nobody got hurt. Brings back memories of a 12 ga going off in my man cave many years ago. The ceiling fan was never the same after that :yikes:

·
Super Moderator
25,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope all is well, no one hurt! May be time to put that Jennings in the round file.
She insisted that it goes. I pulled the firing pin and spring out of it for now.
Nobody was hurt. It was a .22, not a .50BMG, so the hole is not too big and should be easy to fix, unless you want to make up some dark story about how it got there. You didn't say if anything was hit on the other side of the wall.

You had the gun pointed in a safe direction.

You kept the damage to a minimum. Well done. God was protecting you.
No dark stories. I made a clean hole through almost 1 1/2" of wood. The interior wall is 3/4" bead board and the exterior is 5/8" clapboard.
She made me put it away and take the kitchen trashcan out and wash it :(.

·
Premium Member
19,210 Posts
I did a thread on my 1st AD this year. The kitchen floor paid the price. My 1st ad in 70 years. I hope the next 70 are just as good. :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sometimes those guns we have that got a lot of sentimental value can get you in trouble . Friend I got has a old shotgun his grandpa left him . He had it for years after was given to him and hunted with it . One day he was riding on back of a 4 wheeler with another buddy and it went boom . Was pointed in safe direction thank goodness , he thought somehow he bumped the trigger . Few months later him and several guys were loading dogs up after hunting he was squatting on one knee gun crossways , his hand on the top handguard other holding a cup of coffee , BOOM , one of their dogs got shot this time . It probably could of been fixed by a gunsmith but he hung it on the wall under picture of his grandpa . Sounds like you did best you could , glad nobody got hurt .

·
Super Moderator
25,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did a thread on my 1st AD this year. The kitchen floor paid the price. My 1st ad in 70 years. I hope the next 70 are just as good. :)
If i had shot a hole in her prized kitchen floor, Sam would be looking for a new moderator, I wouldn't be around.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
That's why I have a drawer full of dummy rounds that I loaded without powder or primers. Can't say that I have one in 22lr though. Maybe I could turn one down on the lathe out of solid aluminum.
I've got one of those Jennings that I bought on a whim about 40 years ago. Mine feeds fine, but I still can't hit the side of a barn from the inside with it.
I had one AD at the range while clearing a jam, and that was enough to convince me never to test with live ammo.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I had 2 accidental discharges with a Remington 700, one on closing the bolt and one taking the rifle off safety. Gun was pointed in a safe direction both times, missed a nice mule deer I was hunting when the first one happened. I was so shaken up when that happened that I forgot all about the deer . The second one happened at the range on BLM land, I was checking the rifle after I thoroughly cleaned the trigger assembly and looking to see if I could get it to discharge again....I could and did. It got a Timney trigger soon after.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I had one when I was about 14. I actually checked the chamber on an Argentine Mauser and didn't see anything. Closed the bolt and pulled the trigger to relieve the spring. That was before I learned to pull the trigger while closing the bolt. Blew out my bedroom mirror, the bullet cleanly cut the telephone wire coming into the house and put a hole in the bed of one of my dads dump trucks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If i had shot a hole in her prized kitchen floor, Sam would be looking for a new moderator, I wouldn't be around.
yep.

Glad that nobody was hurt.

Said a brief prayer.
thank you! and thanks to God - could have been disastrous. the cussing let me know he was still alive.......... that gun needs to go in the trash!!!

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
I messed up! I was working on one of those "Ring of Fire" guns, a Jennings 22, it's been having feeding problem and extractiin issues. I was sitting on the back porch adjusting the lips on the magazine. I got a round stuck and while trying to get the slide to pull back, the dang thing went off. Shot a hole through the wall on the back porch. DOH!
Did you need a new roof anyway?

S

·
0 Posts
WTH?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I post this because I trust y'all will be nice to me afterward.

I used to do a lot of single action shooting, along with the gun tricks that the old desperados used to do; 2 different road agent spins (1 each from Young Guns & Tombstone), the border shift, (the correct) fast draw out of a Mexican Double Loop Holster, not the hollywood buscadero rig, drop the cup and draw and fire (blanks) before the cup hits the ground. Remember all those tricks from "The Magnificent Seven"?. Worked on all of them.

So, my Single Actions became my favorite toys. Sitting around the Apartment, then around the house spinning, tossing & just generally playing with my favorite Ivory handled Colt, I have shot a little furniture (side chair, bed) & a couple of walls and the fireplace (ricochet 2 for 1!). The second ND went through the side chair in the bedroom and into our walk-in closet.....on my wife's side. Fortunately, it only went through an old pair of her corduroy pants, and not through every item of clothing she had.

Now, when I pick up one of my SAA's at home, I unload it and stand all the rounds in a row.

Holy cow, you guys are gonna crucify me. :duh:

BTW, Somehow I had a ND with my Glock 42 in the bathroom at work!! Yikes. The bullet is still in the floor tile. I ran to my office and said I was sick and exited the building stage left.

Reactions: Empty_Holster
1 - 20 of 25 Posts