The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Deer Gun season ends this weekend, I can only hunt Saturday morning and maybe Sunday night due to commitments…

Didn’t hunt today because my son’s family was coming in from PA, and wanted to spend time with the grandkids…

Turns out they are staying until Saturday (maybe Sunday…)

I half in jest ask if anybody wants to go hunting with me Saturday morning…and my 10 year old granddaughter says she wants too…😎

Scrambling to find warm clothes that fit her, amazing how many of her Dad’s stuff we saved from when he hunted with me when he was her age fits!

But both parents drew the line when I offered to “convert” the single 20 H&R back to kid’s size like my son carried because I think I still have a few slugs…no guns until she gets used to being in the woods with me🤨

I even offered to let her carry the Winchester 1904 Boys rifle she has been shooting with me the last two years, for squirrels, no dice🤨

Oh well, with her with me I probably won’t see a deer, but still a good trade in my book😉

My doe tag will still ne good next weekend in ML season…😎

·
Super Moderator
44,134 Posts
Right after the wife and I got married she wanted to go hunting with me. Being from Korea she had never been hunting before so I took her squirrel hunting with me. I told her to sit over here beside me on this log and be very quiet and if you see anything, just touch me on the arm and point to what you see. In a few minutes, I hear something rustling the leaves and when I look over, she was over picking up a box turtle. After a little while I gave up on the idea of getting any squirrels that day and we went "turtle" hunting.

·
Premium Member
20,382 Posts
Right after the wife and I got married she wanted to go hunting with me. Being from Korea she had never been hunting before so I took her squirrel hunting with me. I told her to sit over here beside me on this log and be very quiet and if you see anything, just touch me on the arm and point to what you see. In a few minutes, I hear something rustling the leaves and when I look over, she was over picking up a box turtle. After a little while I gave up on the idea of getting any squirrels that day and we went "turtle" hunting.
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, things have a way of working out…she’s going hunting with me in the morning but we have to be back in by 11 when they are all leaving to go back to PA.

But my “previous commitments” disappeared so I can be back out in the afternoon😉

But I may be asking Santa for a two person stand if she likes it😉

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well she did fine and said she likes it, although she said her hands got cold😎 her gloves didn’t fit into the mittens her mom bought her.

My extra pair of wool army glove liners I always carry, the old muff her dad used when he was her age with a hand warmer did the trick.

She got a little fidgety after a couple of hours, especially not seeing anything, not even a squirrel until 10:00 and then only one, but she said she liked it and wants to do it again.

It feels good having a new hunting buddy. Kind of glad in a way I didn’t shoot one. Let her grow into it…plus I told her next summer we’ll start her shooting her Dad’s old CVA .50 cal percussion, maybe she’ll carry a gun next year and she was smiling when she left😉

My wife always liked to hunt with her grandpa when she was a young girl but confided that gramps never got a deer when she was with him either😎

oh well😉

·
Premium Member
20,382 Posts
She got a little fidgety after a couple of hours, especially not seeing anything, not even a squirrel until 10:00 and then only one,
Sounds my morning hunts, except this year i have barley seen any squirrels. And come to think of it NO pesky red squirrels! Usually 5 or 6 are all around me. Something happened to them, but i don't know what!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My barber told me he carried his .177 air rifle with him into his tree stand so he can pot some squirrels without spooking deer…I was going to do it this year but never got it sighted in…I have a nice Crossman with a 4x scope but have it sighted in for dead nuts at 15 feet, the distance from my porch door to the suet feeder so I can off the starlings😉

Maybe next year, after adjusting the scope…

Years ago I started bringing my Single Six with me as my “concealed carry” handgun for squirrels when Indiana loosened their rules…before that you couldn’t carry a handgun in the woods deer hunting unless it qualified as a legal handgun for deer hunting, until enough of us hollered enough so now they allow “any legal handgun for self protection as long as not used to take a deer”😎

But wouldn’t you know it, whenever I DIDN’T have the single six I saw beaucoup fox squirrels, (once in the damm stand with me!) but when I had it, nada😡

1 - 9 of 9 Posts