The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many here, my Grandfather served in WWII and brought home a Walther PP. I was wondering if someone here could give me a little more information on it. After he passed away, my Grandmother did not want it in her house, so she gave it to me. My questions here are besides information, what someone would value it out. Thinking that for insurance purposes, I should put some realistic value on it. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Well, with my limited knowledge, I will get you started. The two Eagle over N are proof-marks, used for both military and non-military Walther's. I believe I read 335226P as the serial number which would place it in 1941, which is also the first use of the Waffenarnt ( Army acceptance code ) E/WaA359 which seems to be stamped on the left side. So, I would think you have a Walther pp German army acceptance markings ( a gin-u-wine war trophy ) Value is hard to say, the picture of the holster did not come through, but if it is correct then that is a plus. All WWII items are gaining in demand, and PPs and PPKs seem to be one of the most desired items. Now this is just a guess, a WAG on my part, your gun is well worn but even so no major problems, The gun and holster should bring 8 hundred to a thousand ( maybe more ) to a collector. Hey guys, If I'm low or high on the value, please jump in. Don't know if your married or have kids, but IMO that would be one hell of a heirloom from one of the Greatest Generation, your grandfather. Best I can do, hope that helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, serial number stamped twice on right side (barrell and behind along side grip) 335226p. Also the proof mark or waffenarnt as you say is, Wa359 stamped twice on left side, as pictured and on slide. It appears to be in good condition. I know he fired it, but I know that it hasn't been fired in the past 20 yrs. I am going to take it to a local gunsmith, before I attempt it. Any suggestions about changing the grips from the plastic ones...or should this just be kept intact and put away for a collector's piece?

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
IMO, It can safely be fired, but I would replace the original grips, they are fragile and can not be easily be replaced. Long term, I would then clean it and put it safely up for the future, JMO, others may differ.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks RJay. I have an appointment tomorrow to work on his Winchester 30-30. It was stored terribly and it may be at a total loss. It is not pre-64, so it is not worth much to the average collector, but it means more to me because he bought it and used it on his farm. Hopefully, I will get good news for it and ask about the grips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts