The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Grandfather has severe Alzheimer’s. He has 5 guns he was given from his grandfather. My grandma decided it was time for me to get the guns and carry them on for the future.

I tried talking to him and asking about the guns, he kind of sparked up but was still unable to remember anything other then his grandpa gave them to him and he wanted me to have them.

I want to know as much as possible about these guns so I can tell him about them and also restore them.

I will post pictures of the guns and say what I believe they are and include any information I have on them. ANYTHING HELPS but I would like to know Model, year, and value.

1. Is a bolt action rifle, internal magazine, serial number J4877. It has no manufacturing co name or any other identification. It has a gold insert on the left side of the stock, but nothing written on it. I think the stock may have been refurbished at some point. Pictures (1-6).

I will post the others under this thread after I do more research on them.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
42,021 Posts
Please post the others in separate threads. When you throw a bunch together, it soon gets confusing which one is being talked about. Plus you need close-up pictures off all the markings on the guns.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please post the others in separate threads. When you throw a bunch together, it soon gets confusing which one is being talked about. Plus you need close-up pictures off all the markings on the guns.
Ok sorry I’ve never used this forum, any other pictures that would be helpful?

·
Registered
10,610 Posts
If you can remove the barreled action from the stock and look for proof marks that may be hiding under the stock wood on the lower portion of the barrel or action.

·
Super Moderator
42,021 Posts
That's OK, we were all new here at one time or another. Welcome to TFF. The pictures you have are OK but with the addition of the close-ups they will be better. I would also suggest that you take the guns outside in natural sunlight, things will show up a lot better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's OK, we were all new here at one time or another. Welcome to TFF. The pictures you have are OK but with the addition of the close-ups they will be better. I would also suggest that you take the guns outside in natural sunlight, things will show up a lot better.
Perfect I will add those now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a symbol on the barrel, it looks like an incomplete R. Other than that I can’t find any other identification.

Also sorry for my girlfriends bright pink chair haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
That once was a Mauser model 95.?
It was sporterized so it has very little collector's value.
On a good note, who ever did the work, did a very good job. And it is now a respectable hunting rifle.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
The Mauser model 95 was made/used by several countries.
With out having it in my dirty little paws , there is no way to date it other than to say it is pre- WW2. Sorry, I can't get any closer than that.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
I'm thinking it was originally a carbine. That thingy in the side of the stock is where the original rear sling mount was.

It's drilled and tapped for scope mounts, and the right rear of the receiver appears drilled and tapped for a peep sight.

Nice looking job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Mauser model 95 was made/used by several countries.
With out having it in my dirty little paws , there is no way to date it other than to say it is pre- WW2. Sorry, I can't get any closer than that.
Thank you so much! I will carefully take her apart and see if there is anything else I can find. If not I will do some cleaning and preservation work and she will sit in the show case!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts