The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Need more information. Is it made by Great Western or is it called Great Western? Reason is that Pietta makes a single action revolver called Great Western and Great Western II. There is a co called Great Western and all I see by them on Numrich are derringers. So, being that a derringer would not require a cylinder pin, it would probably be the Pietta. Numrich has some parts for their SAA pistol.

·
Premium Member
11,728 Posts
In the 50's and maybe into the early 60's there was a company in California who made nearly identical copies of the Colt SAA. I suspect that's what the PO is talking about. When Colt began manufacture of the SAA in '55 or '56 it killed Great Western. They were very good revolvers.

Reactions: One Shot

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Richie, if the serial number has a GW prefix, it's the same as a Colt SAA 1st & 2nd Gen with a stronger frame/cyl. The early ones even used some Colt parts. I've found two versions of firing pins and recoil plate bushings on these, so it's important to know which one you have. Keep in mind, ALL parts replaced have to be fitted to the gun, and it's a good idea to have someone that knows how, do it.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
No real information to add but Matt Dillon carried a Great Western in Gunsmoke.
Being a fan of GW and of course Westerns, I'm surprised how many I see now. Westerns were the reason GW was started, and visa versa. All clicked together about the same time, Westerns were big, everyone wanted a "cowboy gun", and Colt wasn't making them anymore. The door on that market was wide open. Colt finally noticed the draft from it, and got back in the market.
All that drove the prices up on 1stGen Colts, too expensive to have actors banging them up, and the GW's were cheaper. In The Shootist, that's a GW that Jim Martin did up to look like John Wayne's Ivory handled Colt, getting tossed across the barroom by Ron Howard.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have 3 great western SAA cowboy colt clones...
I will agree that on most guns colt parts or Italian produced colt marked parts are identical and with normal hand fitting will interchange and function appropriately.

In addition is your gun a .357 Atomic??? While one of my revolvers will accept and fire .357 magnum / .38 special / .38 long colt cartridges it is most definitively marked .357 Atomic and I have some first run .357 Atomic brass and loaded rounds correctly head stamped...
Please check your guns markings and update us as to its caliber or clambering designation...
Further IMHO the early GW's are superior to colts in fit and finish and constituent element material construction and refined metal content.
Early guns have an odd finish look based on the hardness treatment and bluing of the steel containing abnormal levels of copper and berrylium alloys.

I also have a GW Chambered in .404 herters power Mag and one in .45 long colt...

Would love to find the rumored catalogued .22 hornet or a target grade heavy barrel .22 rimfire variant...

Mike

·
Premium Member
11,728 Posts
Wasn't that Herter's a 401 Power Mag?

·
Premium Member
11,728 Posts
Herter's did some.....interesting things!!! I didn't know but what there was also a 404.

·
Super Moderator
26,335 Posts
Needs fireing pin and cylinder pin... Anyone have any idea where to get parts
If you definitely know the manufacturer and model, you could try Numrichs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts