Grendel shooters?

Discussion in 'AR 15 Forum' started by Twicepop, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Do any of you out there in FORUMland have any experience with the 6.5 Grendel in the AR. My question is about magazines. Does this cartridge require a special magazine, or does the standard .223/5.56 mag work? I tried contacting HEXmag and the e-mail wouldn't go through, I contacted MAGPUL about 3 wks ago and they didn't respond.

2. southernshooter

southernshooter Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, I’m not very familiar with 6.5 Grendel but I think they use their own type of mags.

3. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

4. zant

zant Well-Known Member

Use 6.8 mags.

5. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

No, a 223 mag will not work.
    MidwayUSA has grendel mags for about $16.
    I'm gathering parts for a grendel build now. Still looking for a type 2 bolt that won't break the bank.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have no idea what a type 2 bolt is but I got an email from JoeBobOutfitters on Thursday that they had BCG' in 6.5 Grendel for $99.95, I've paid that for 2.23 BCG's.

Kvasir likes this.
  7. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

A "type 2" is .135 deep, while a "type 1" I think is .124. Which one you need depends on the barrel you have. Thanks for the tip. JSE wants $85 just for the bolt alone.

8. Twicepop

Try Primary Arms, that's where I picked up my complete upper. I also found the correct magazines to complete the package.

Kvasir likes this.
  9. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

Thanks! They have a great selection. Their prices look to be a bit high though.

10. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

So it just got real. I was on the fence about building a Grendel. I could have done a .223 wylde much cheaper, and had near the same performance in the range I shoot. (my usual range is only 100 yards) But a Christmas bonus sealed the deal. Ordered a 6.5 24" heavy barrel, a Tacstar precision adjustable stock, a Tubbs flat wire buffer spring, and I'm machining my own receiver. Not that I care about paperwork, just that I get a better fit if I machine it myself. Oh yeah, I ordered a DPMS grip with the palm shelf too. I find a fatter grip gives me better trigger control.
    Haven't chosen a compensator yet. ( the barrel is threaded) Or what free float tube.
    Is there anything else I'm forgetting?

11. Twicepop

I must have caught that upper at just the right time. The complete unit was less than $300.00.

Kvasir likes this.
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sign up on their email list. They have some great specials that have caused me to buy thing that I really didn't want, just because the price was so good! I would not have known about them if I had not been on their "list".

Kvasir likes this.
  13. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

I picked up a BCG with the correct bolt from Midway for $100. So I finally have all the pieces, and can start this build.
    Is it bad that I'm already looking to the next project?

14. Chruce

Chruce Member

I'm waiting for my Grendel barrel and BCG to arrive currently, but I've got the next two to three planned projects already picked. You're not alone in looking ahead, at least.

Kvasir likes this.
  15. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

Finished machining and assembling the lower Friday night. new magazines were delivered Saturday.
    Now just waiting on the BCG to do the final install of the barrel, and Odin Works adjustable gas block. Then it's off to the range if the weather cooperates.