Grip extender for baby Glocks. Solving that 'short' grip problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by hkruss, Apr 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

One of the few complaints I have about my 'baby' Glock, is the short hand grip. If you have medium to large hands, it feels somewhat uncomfortable to hold because your pinky is off the grip. Even adding a plus 1 or plus 2 with a pinky extender never felt fully comfortable to me. I found this A&G grip extender at a gun show today,and it seems to be just the ticket for getting a good grip on the pistol.
    The key here is to use a mag from a larger model pistol. In my case, I used a G-23 mag which, being the same caliber, fits my G-27. This should work on any of the sub compact Glocks, as long as you use a mag from a larger model of the same caliber.
    The extender is made by A&G, and costs about $13. It attaches by sliding it down over the mag, inserting the mag, then tightening a set screw on the back of the extender. It adds almost an inch to the hand grip. I have medium size hands, and for the first time, the grip is truly comfortable. Even large handed people should notice a great improvement.
    One thing I noticed, is that I really had to pop the mag into place to get it to seat properly. I solved this by sanding a little off the areas where it butts up against the mag well.
    I imagine many of you already knew about this item, but I just discovered it today, and I am VERY pleased now that I am able to have a firm grip on my pistol.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Why not just buy a bigger gun in the first place?

3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Buying the small gun, and having both the compact magazine and extended one gives you a very flexible package.

One great tip when using guns with short grips, is to get into the habit of curling the little finger around under the grip, keeping it in tight. It works well with both small autos and small revolvers, like the J frames.

4. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

5. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Two words: concealed carry

Because the smaller version is more easily carried concealed for long periods of time (which I do). The savings in weight and smaller dimensions make it easier, at least for me. Even with the extender, I can carry it in an ankle holster. Can't easily do that with a full size, heavier pistol. As far as IWB carry, I prefer the bigger grip. More to hang on to as you are drawing it out. Safer, IMO.

6. Exactly so, Russ. The baby Glocks are my favorites for concealed carry, and I too use a grip extender on the mags. I have both a G26 and a G33. Personally, I favor the Pearce design which gives me one extra round capacity, but the type one uses is pretty much a matter of taste. I find the extender doesn't appreciably increase the footprint of the pistol, but it does make it more comfortable to shoot and easier to handle.

7. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Good point, LurpyGeek. I like the Pearce plus ones and twos due to the extra rounds with the pinky extension, and I do use them. But the thing I really like about the A&G extension, is you have a lot more of your palm also helping to grip the pistol. To me, the more surface area of your hand on the grip, the more secure the grip. I think it will help improve my accuracy as well as helping handle that 'sharp' recoil of the .40 caliber

8. It will, Russ. I have the same problem, only more so, with that G33 in .357 Sig. The recoil is pretty sharp with that round (like a 9mm on steroids ;)), but the grip extension helps considerably.