Grrrr!

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by ilovenxstage, Apr 18, 2009.

1. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

Because of my disability, I am temporarily living with my parents, so we are always getting into different debates and conversations. Today we got to talking about guns. Now, both my parents vote Republican, but on some subjects they are far to the left. The gun issue is one of them. They both want all guns banned, even though my dad has a Marlin .22 rifle and a 12gau. pump (I forget who makes it), but they have sat up in the attic for the last 20 years. So, we went back and forth on that a little, and I got the same old "we need to ban guns to keep them out of the hands of criminals". I said that criminals don't let laws or bans stop them from getting guns, and they sounded a little like Obozo without his teleprompter "uh....er....but maybe.....we can....uh...stop one or two from.....uh....getting them". I mean I love my parents, but come on! They kind of backpedaled by saying "oh....but we know that YOU are responsible with your guns so we don't have a problem with YOUR guns". My brother is also a gun owner and they said the same about him. Basically they want ALL guns banned, but they don't want to SAY they don't want my brother and I to have our guns (even though I know they don't like our guns either). They also don't know that I keep at least one of my guns loaded at all times. If I told them, they would have kittens! I think they would be singing a different tune if someone tried to get in and hurt us, and I successfully used my gun to stop the attack! I mean, my parent mean well, they HATE crime and they hate that fact that guns are used in crime, but they are like most antis-they think the GUN is more of the problem, then the CRIMINAL! Again, I love my parents a lot, but I will be so glad when I can save up my meager disability pay to get my own place. I'm far to the right, they are more to the left, and in a lot of subjects WE DON'T MIX! Sorry about the rant.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. swiftman

swiftman Member

You need to have them what the Suzanna Grtia-Hupp: What the second admendment is really for; on youtube, and especially the last part. If this does not open their eyes I doubt nothing will.

3. artabr

artabr New Member

+1 million

Here's the video link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis&feature=related

Art

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  4. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Ditto!

mike
    gn

5. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I hope that you are not leaving your loaded weapon unattended. From your post it is clear your parents are fond of guns and have not spent time around them. It could be a abd situation if they happened upon the gun and it was unintentially discharged.

Not razzing you just a little concerned.

6. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

Nope, I don't leave it unattended when it's loaded. I either have it in a paddle holster clipped to my jeans covered by my shirt (hmmm, concealed carry INSIDE my home), or in my room with the mag out and the slide locked back if I'm not in there. When it's not loaded, it is ready to be loaded immediately if I need it. Every now and then I will leave it in my room without unloading it but that's only when I know I'm going to coming right back. I do try to be as safe as I can with my guns. As far as either of my parents finding one of my guns, I don't have to worry about that, because they know that I have guns, and they know I don't hide them (except when everyone is out of the house-I don't want a burglar to get in and find firearms in plain sight).

7. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

ilovenx, the bad guys don't always need to have guns. About 10 years ago my old neighborhood degenerated into the "hood". I'll not forget the first time I saw 5 teenagers walking down the street carying large sticks and pipes. Turns out that as long as they broke no law, they were within their legal rights. Most of these kids soon diasapeard into the juvenile justice system. Others soon took their place. I had always kept a loaded revolver by the bed. After seeing that parade, I started keeping a loaded shotgun by the bedroom door which was just off the front door in the living room. Never had to use it, but I had to grab it a few times. Over the years, I saw some strange sights on my street. Fights between kids, adults fighting. One of the strangest was 7 or 8 large adult women fighting up and down the street while carying babies. The cheering sections arrival was something out of an old Mickey Mouse cartoon. On another occasion, I came upon the most remarkable sight when I turned the corner on my street. There were police cars on both sides of the street for 2 blocks. Had to park in my yard. These folks contributed quite a bit to my already extensive vocabulary. But for realy vile language I had to go to the MSM this week. Guns are good. Gungrabing politicians bad.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  8. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Even though it's very long, download the book in my signature from http://www.gunfacts.info Read it as you have time, or just seek out particular issues that you're interested in learning about. I GUARANTEE you won't regret the knowledge you gain, including specific facts.

My parents weren't so hot on gun issues when I was a teenager. I was into shooting because of my uncles. Now, I'm proud of my mom. She came to me 2 weeks ago asking advice on what kind of gun to buy for self defense. The wake up call was in the middle of the night when my cousin who lives on the other side of the pasture heard a call go out for first responders at my mom and step-dad's address. He rushed down to their house and was beating on the door since he is a volunteer fire fighter. They didn't know what to think, and then realized that it was Brandon beating on the door. They let him in and he was hyped up big time. He explained the situation. EMS arrived shortly thereafter and it turned out that the wrong address had been reported. It scared her so bad being woken up in the middle of the night with no self-defense firearms in the house that she's now interested in better protecting herself and my step-dad who's in the moderate stages of Alzheimer's disease. The big problem may be how to keep the gun from him. That's another problem altogether.

9. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

The subject just came up again today, and although I didn't really get much farther than I did last time, I was at least able to "lay it all out". I admit I kind of upset my mom a little (but she's ok now and there's no hard feelings), but I may have gotten through a little more than last time. I flat out asked her how she would feel if a gun SAVED her life. She said "well, if it was used by a police officer..." I didn't let that one go without a fight. I said in kind of an annoyed tone (I was actually very annoyed) "forget the cop, how would you feel if the gun that SAVED your life was used by ME?" She said she would be grateful but still not like guns. I also told her just how irrational it is to hate the gun more than the criminal. I said "Gee, cars can be used as a deadly weapon too. I hate all cars! ALL CARS SHOULD BE BANNED!" She didn't like that too much, but it's true (Although I DON'T want cars to be banned). Should I have said anything different? I must say, I get VERY frustrated when I have to deal with gun-haters. OK, I'm done ranting.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  10. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

45-70 you are soooo right!

OAK RIDGE — A man and two women were being treated this morning for injuries sustained in a fracas involving knives and baseball bats, police said.

“They had knives and baseball bats and three people were transported to the University of Tennessee (Medical Center) with non-life threatening injuries,” Oak Ridge Police Department Lt. Pamela Breeden said this morning.

Breeden said the fight started at a bar and then moved to a residence in the East Village community in the northeast part of town.

One man suffered a stab wound while two women sustained head injuries from baseball bats, the lieutenant said.

11. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

Through all of this, I am in agreement with the argument set forth but I do not believe that continually shoving this ideology down the throats of your parents is very loving, caring or respectful.

That is not to say that you should not speak your mind but some battles are not worth winning.

My view would be to love them, I think you do. Care for them, I believe you do as much as you are able, and protect them with your life if necessary. I believe you would.

Their views on guns and gun control in particular; though they may be frustrating, are their views and in this country, they are entitled.

The fact that they allow your guns in the home is a huge concession and a true demonstration of their love for you.

Do as you will but this kind of argument can sour any relationship.

In my view, Live your life to the fullest, hold your views and hold your tongue around your folks.

12. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

Most of the time, we just agree to disagree, and there are rarely any issues. My parents know full well that I have my guns, they know I shoot, and they know that I plan to apply for concealed carry (they hate that part especially, but they don't normally say anything about it). I love my parents and they love me. I don't know what I'd do right now if they didn't let me stay in their house and pay only $200 rent until I can get my own place. That's why I don't normally bring up the subject of guns with them. I know they don't like them, and they know that I do. It's just that on the rare occasions when the subject does come up, it usually turns into an argument, and that part is frustrating.

13. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

My folks are somewhat middle of the road, mostly my Mom. My Dad, a Korean War Veteran, knows you need to be able to protect yourself. They are just not as adamant as I am. I finally succeeded in getting my Dad to leave his Garand loaded behind their bedroom door since they live in Shreveport which for some strange reason has a very hot racial climate.

Leaving the hospital, I was putting my P-140 back into my waistband and my Mom says "You need a gun to drive back to Dallas?" I said Mom, you can't choose where trouble will happen, you must be prepared at all times.

My Sister and BIL don't think people should be able to carry concealed because of road rage, and don't think we should own "assault rifles" BS!:mad: I just don't talk about those issues with them anymore.

My niece loves my M-4 and wants to shoot the AK next. Some people can't commit to the level of violence that may be required to protect their own life. They also don't think students should be allowed to carry to protect themselves, again on the flimsy excuse of age and beer in college. Trying to tell them the students would need to be of age (21) and hold a CHL doesn't change their mind.

I own my guns because it makes me happy and it's my right.

I met a Canadian today (IT Geek) at work who had never shot a gun and couldn't believe I had an AK & pistols in my truck. I didn't tell him about the Kel-Tec P-9 in my pocket! :eek: :D :D

I told him the next time he is down, I'll take him out and shoot some cowboy guns and some evil :eek: assault rifles. :D

Keep up the faith Brotha, you can show them by your actions and maybe only talk about it when they broach the subject.

Last edited: May 21, 2009