Guess I better get an expert onion on this

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/24/01 7:47:26 pm)
    Reply Guess I better get an expert onion on this
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a Colt Government Model Series 70. It shoots fine and is accurate and overall I am very happy with it. It has the match bushing and the frame around the grips is stipeled (sp).
    Here is the problem, if I do not let the slide slam home hard it does not close all the way. Just a little pressure by hand and then it will close. It is annoying to me and am wondering if this is normal or not. It only stops short of being all the way closed by a 1/16th to an 1/8th of an inch. Just enough so that I cannot put the safety on.
    I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor.

Bompa
    (9/24/01 8:46:57 pm)
    Reply Re: Guess I better get an expert onion on this
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No expert but it might be too much tension on the extractor.
    Could be it,extractor,needs a bit of radius or polish on bottom corner also..

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (9/24/01 8:53:21 pm)
    Here`s the advice I was given so many years back. Never let the slide slam home without a "loaded magazine in the pistol." If you are riding the slide home to prevent the weapon from entering full battery, you are fighting the very thing that makes an auto pistol do what it`s supposed to do. I assume from your post this is what you are doing, but I could have missed your point. If you are riding the slide home on a empty chamber, this this would not be a problem. LTS

America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/24/01 9:00:18 pm)
    Empty or full magazine if I let it go home slow it will not go into battery. without a little extra pressure.
    I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (9/24/01 9:53:25 pm)
    Ok, this means to me that you are riding the slide home. "NEVER" ride the slide home "slow it down"[unless you are not chambering a round] with the slide locked back or pulled completely back, complete release and allow the slide to slam into battery. If you are also thumbing the slide into battery, the last fractions of an inch, you risk breaking your thumb or fingers should the gun discharge.....It has happened and it does hurt too. Let it do what it`s supposed to do, it will not have a bad effect on the pistol at all. LTS

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (9/25/01 7:11:29 am)
    Retract the slide and ease it forward until it stops. Look closely to see if the firing pin stop is touching the frame. If so, remove the firing pin stop and remove some metal from the bottom edge.

Xracer
    (9/25/01 4:19:27 pm)
    warpig....LIKTOSHOOT is right....what you're describing is perfectly normal for a nice, tight, well-tuned M1911. Remember, it's designed to "slam home" during the normal firing cycle.

When you're chambering a round, let it slam home.

When you're closing it empty, "ride it home" and push it that extra 1/16 inch.

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/25/01 6:52:31 pm)
    Thanks for all the info. Don't know that I will do anything with it or not. I really love the way it shoots now. It does function fine when I fire it and that is what it is all about. I just noticed that it did that and started thinking. Thinking is what my wife says gets me in trouble.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/25/01 7:20:43 pm)
    I know I'm a little late with this so bear with me...

If it aint broke don't fix it..

Your pistol is fine.
    Guns don't cause crime anymore than flies caues garbage.

polishshooter
    (9/26/01 9:32:44 pm)
    How much have you fired it? It sounds like something that will go away after a few thousand rounds.

I ALWAYS let it slam home when picking up a round from the mag, either by hitting the slide stop, or pulling it back all the way and letting go if it wasn't locked back.

There's actually quite a few things that could be causing it, I doubt if it's anything that might hurt it, if everything looks alright.

It could also be a little dirt somewhere too.
    I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN...

blindhogg
    (9/28/01 8:25:07 pm)
    Reply Guess I better get a expert opinion on this
    Warpig
    You either have a barrel bushing that is too tight or the lugs on the bottom of the barrel are slightly binding with mag release. If it is a stock gun,its most probably the barrel bushing is slightly too tight, If it has a 3 prong fingered bushing (series 70 only), replace it and you should be good to go.
    Chris

LIKTOSHOOT
    (9/28/01 10:02:55 pm)
    Reply Re: Guess I better get a expert opinion on this
    Hey Hogg, good to see`ya....thought the acorns got ya. LTS

blindhogg
    (10/1/01 9:10:41 pm)
    Reply Guess I better get an expert onion on this
    Yea I am still kickin, them corns aint got me yet.
    Been pretty busy at work though (Army). Seems were ramping up to kick some ass!!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (10/1/01 9:15:55 pm)
    Re: Guess I better get an expert onion on this
    Go get'em Hogg!

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator