Gun Bluing

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

cloudjockey
    (5/6/02 3:32:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All gun bluing
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone ever mes around with gun bluing. Just wondering is there any home bluing kits. I have a few rifle that look a little rough, just wondering what my options were. Thanks

Tac401
    Administrator
    (5/6/02 3:59:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: gun bluing
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Someone will be along shortly to help with your question!

Thanks for choosing TFF!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/6/02 4:03:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: gun bluing
    Cold blues are crap, only suitable for edge wear touchup at most. There are some home bluing solutions designed to be applied to heated metal that are slightly more satisfactory.

The key is in the metal preparation beforehand.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/7/02 5:50:29 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: gun bluing
    Use the link at the bottom of this post and go to the gunamithing section, some of the others have been talking about bluing types and methods that they have used complete with pictures of the results.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (5/7/02 1:05:34 pm)
    I would really like to know a really experienced hot gun bluer in the gunsmith business, and his freaken email addy or address. I'm willing to spend a couple of C notes but want top quality polishing and blue job.

GG

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/7/02 2:26:18 pm)
    a couple of c-notes for a good blue job?

Here's a place to start, www.vtgunsmiths.com/tis/tispricing.html

Edited by: Zigzag2 at: 5/7/02 3:30:33 pm

K75RT
    (5/7/02 5:24:47 pm)
    When I was in business I blued a lot of guns. As stated a bluing job is only as good as the metal preparation work. I never used a buffing tool as they round corners and shallow out flats. I used to used die stones and W/D paper of varying grit. Most of the blueing I did was on shotguns that were left in cases and rusted. The owners would bring them in and ask how much to blue them; I did not just blue, I removed the rust pits with files and stones and paper then depending on the finish requested such as bead blast, 320#, 400#, 600# the prices varied as this is very labor intensive work. I've had people come in and ask for a beadblast and blue with no metal finishing, the barrel was severely pitted, and I refused as my name was going on the work.
    There are a couple of options to hot bluing that are very durable one is "slow rust bluing" the other is "belgian bluing", they are more labor but will be much more durable and very nice to look at. I can recommend one Gun Maker, Michael Ullman of Frontier Gunsmithing in Eads, Colorado; He will do hot dip and slow rust. His metal finishing is impeccable.
    I found his website, check it out.
    www.crosswinds.net/~pla...rindex.htm
    If you believe it is reprehensible to possess the will and means to repel a criminal assault...how can you rightfully ask another to risk his life to protect yours?

Edited by: K75RT at: 5/7/02 6:36:48 pm

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (5/7/02 6:05:03 pm)
    Thank you very much, K75RT; and you too, Ziggy.

GG

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/4/02 5:11:34 pm)
    www.nbizz.com/robtrammell/index.html
    ASK DOC

nuff said
    I suffer from occasional loss of mental stability, and become very violent with only slight provocation. The Veterans Administration has determined that both mental and physical harassment of my person may be hazardous to your health and well being. So stay away from my Donuts!!

BlackGUN

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/4/02 9:47:26 pm)
    Doc's got my 1917, gun is being polished and blued.

GG

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/6/02 7:12:39 am)
    GG are you talking about your Smith & Wesson 45? That's a hunk of metal there!
    I suffer from occasional loss of mental stability, and become very violent with only slight provocation. The Veterans Administration has determined that both mental and physical harassment of my person may be hazardous to your health and well being. So stay away from my Donuts!!

BlackGUN

2. aquafbody

aquafbody New Member

3. wildwilly911

wildwilly911 New Member

02-23-2003, 11:33 PM
    im thinking they probably have it done by now. you dug up a 6 year old thread to promote your gun bluing, not cool on forums