The Firearms Forum banner

Which gun?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would try the M&P Shield EZ in 9mm. Eazy to load and pull the slide. I have an M&P Shield 9mm but not the EZ. The slide on mine is pretty stiff.
Yeah no kidding. I bought one a month ago and not only is the slide pretty stiff but the trigger is far from desirable. I will be installing a trigger kit as soon as I have the $$$. Otherwise it is a pretty decent shooter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are so many good firearms on the market and they truly become a personal.
Go to the dealers and talk to them, most dealers want to help and will give you good advice. If at all possible shoot the model your thinking of purchasing. Make sure you comfortable with how it feels before you make a purchase.
Better yet take a firearms course and during the training you will better understand what type of firearm you should choose. Knowledge about firearms in critical.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I'll give you the same advice I've given countless others. Find a range that rents guns, shoot all you can. Every platform you can, in every caliber you feel you will be comfortable with, even if you've already shot that gun in .380, try it out in 9mm. Find the ones you shoot the best, and are most comfortable. Find what features work best for you, put them all together and find guns that meet those criteria. Then go shopping.

When choosing a gun, I first look at what I can shoot comfortably. Sure, all those pretty new guns are fun, cool, etc. but in the end if you can't hit the broadside of the barn from the inside with the door closed you have a liability at best, and a pending court case on your hands at worst. I understand a person can train themselves to shoot just about any gun, and do so well, but if you have a gun you can shoot fairly well, just think of how much more proficient you can be starting out with that advantage. Secondly, I look at guns that are reliable. I do not want to doubt the thing that may be saving my life, or the lives of my family someday. You wouldn't get in a car with bald tires and drive on a rainy highway when you can get in the car with great tires, I don't see why a gun should be different. Thirdly, I look at what choices I have in holsters, sights, triggers, and so on. A gun should work great out of the box, but there is no shame in making it work better for you. Many people buy a car, and add things to it that make it more pleasant, perform better, or even look better, so upgrades on your carry pistol can't be far off, so long as the upgrades to it don't hamper performance.

Some follow-up advice, even the most trained people in the world seek further training, so find some classes in your area with a reputable instructor and get some training in your life. And get plenty of range ammo, and practice as often as you can. Dry fire training can be a valuable tool as well, just make sure the firearm is cleared, and leave the ammo out of the gun until you are finished.

Reactions: flboots

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Are you looking at new guns or used? If those are used guns they have new gun prices marked on them. Research find the ones you like and test fire each one. Start by finding out things you don't like about each gun to eliminate them.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I don't see mush of a gun in your pictures, justs price tags. I would (and did) go with a Sig Sauer P938.
It's what I bought for my personal carry weapon.
Here's you a little Hep.
Right, if you are going carry this handgun your life is worth more that a cheap gun.
Buy a gun that you would bet your life on because carrying it that is what you are doing.

Don't put a light on a gun even for home defense leave that to the tacti fools. If you hear a thump in the night you will get up & grab your gun, turn your light on & go through the house pointing your gun at everything. What is the #1 safety rule "Don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot!" Have a small flashlight next to your home defense weapon because pointing a gun at anything or anyone is dangerous & even more dangerous if you are a little scared or tense from a early morning house clearing.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I recently got a used Glock 43X (two tone) with night sights for $400.
It appeared to be unfired.
I really wasn't looking for a 9mm but there is a company making 15 round flush fit metal mags for it. It is about 6" long and 4.75 high.
I have big hands, yet the grip is big enough so my pinky is on the grip.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts