gun grease for semi auto

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by poobear, Apr 23, 2009.

1. poobear

poobear New Member

I have 2 semi auto rifles on being a SKS and a M1 Carbine.
    The question is lubrication for the actions on these rifles. I have been told to just use gun oil but also have been told to use grease.
    I really want to know what is the correct answer and material to use.

Thanks

2. Tango Victor

Tango Victor New Member

I have used Tetra Gun Grease on all my semi-autos for several years with good results...Everyone will have a different opinion on this I'm sure. It really is a matter of preference. IMO the grease stays where you want it and doesn't run off. Having said that, a lot of folks prefer traditional oils and they seem to work fine too. I think as long as it's a quality lube you will be ok either way.

3. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I use oil for general lubrication, but on constant contact areas like rails I use a very small amount of grease to keep the lubrication in place. It has worked great for me and I feel it may have significantly reduced wear.

I have heard that you need to be careful where you grease a short recoil operated handgun (which is a huge percentage of semi-autos). Supposedly if the grease gets in the lugs between the barrel and slide it can cause catastrophic failures. Never witnessed this myself, but currently the only semi-autos I own are blowback .380s.

4. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

A tad of lithium grease works well on firearm rails and other "contact areas"...

5. shaner

shaner New Member

Tetra gun grease is the best ive found. U only need to ue a light coating though. Use it on any part that has friction or visable wear.