The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
412 Posts
I really never heard about using grease on guns, but my go to grease for other stuff is white lithium. Bacon grease would work and also make your gun smell good. ;) I wouldn't use any grease on a gun, it will collect grime and grit real fast. I like to use either Rem oil or a military grade gun oil.

·
Premium Member
7,903 Posts
From recent experience Grease will harden with age. Rem Oil, Outers oil, singer Sewing Machine oil will work very well and will not Harden. After a thourogh (sp) cleaning reapply the oil.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
High pressure red colored grease used for gas engine pre assembly. It can be bought at most auto parts store. Lucas Oil brand is real good. It’s gooey and sticky so it won’t fling off. I actually used it first as Shooters Choice, but found out what was in the tube, so I went to a auto parts store and bought a tub of the Lucas grease and just refill the syringe.

Another is any grease that has PTFE in it. Can’t recommend any brand but I’ve use in auto pistols with good results, although I do prefer the red grease. I use these greases on the reciprocal parts such as slides on auto pistols and bolt lugs in rifles.

Lucas, Extreme Duty, Gun Oil I use for lubing springs and pins in guns because it will penetrate the spring coil and pins but not fling off or dry up do to gun powder residue. It is also one of the best lubricant for the bolt carrier in an AR15.

For triggers like in an AR15 or auto pistol I use Chip McCormik, Trigger Job. It’s a grease with molybdenum disulfide in it. This will reduce trigger pull and in some cases smooth trigger creep. I have done test with several hand guns were in the case of my little Walther P22, it reduced trigger pull by 5 oz. and made the trigger pull weight consistent +/- an 1 oz. Amazing stuff. Plus that it’s like Brill Cream, a little dab will do you.
1248ACD2-82E2-41B6-B51E-D6CBF3EC0043.jpeg

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Back in the 80's, I had a helicopter spray service, operated a Bell G3B1, the mech that I hired bought a can of Shell grease for fittings on the chopper, I sold the helo, kept the grease. Just a tiny bit on a Qtip keeps my guns moving...I can bequeath the can to some grandsons, probably still in use in the 2200's...

·
Super Moderator
25,685 Posts
Back in the 80's, I had a helicopter spray service, operated a Bell G3B1, the mech that I hired bought a can of Shell grease for fittings on the chopper, I sold the helo, kept the grease. Just a tiny bit on a Qtip keeps my guns moving...I can bequeath the can to some grandsons, probably still in use in the 2200's...
Gee Clipper, when I read "helicopter spray service", I automatically imagined 2 of these mounted to your Bell.
images.jpeg.jpg

:machinegunner:

·
TFF Chaplain
18,859 Posts
You will get great reviews from veteran members here for Silver Bullet Gun Oil, and it's great stuff if you can find it. Amazon has it listed, but it is not in stock and they apparently don't know when they will get more in. The guy who made it is a marine; don't know what his status is.

Whatever you end up using, keep the quantity to a minimum. As howlnmad says, oil and grease are dirt and grit magnets, so get enough on to lubricate and protect, but not too much. I usually put some on, then give it a wipedown with a clean cloth remove excess.

I have tried several types, and for my light usage, they all work. Browning Legia, Frog Lube, SBGO, and light machine oil all seem to work OK.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I use Lubriplate. It's a food grade grease we used in pump and compressor assembly. Got a small can of it at work about 10 years ago, haven't used 1/3 of it. There is a mil-spec grade that is recommended for Garands and M1-A (M-14).
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017561998?pid=886141 .
Read an article one time said to use a grease on anything that slides, oil on anything that pivots. A caveat though, use it only if it is going to be cleaned after use, and only use it if the gun is going to be used relatively soon. Like all greases, the lubricant is in a matrix and can migrate out of the grease. It can harden over time. How long? I haven't had a problem with guns that went 6 months between cleanings, but I have a friend who had a problem at about 18 months. If you are putting a gun up for an extended period of time, you might want to use something else, or clean it before use.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Gee Clipper, when I read "helicopter spray service", I automatically imagined 2 of these mounted to your Bell.
View attachment 235636
:machinegunner:
Sorry, we only shot at bollworms in the local cotton patches in those days. Back in my Navy days, I did manage to shoot a LOT of 20mm..the AD had 4 and the A4 had two...mud-movers for sure. We had to qualify in strafe, but they only loaded 5o rounds per bun (then only the inboard two) so with 100 rounds, needed to have 20 hits on the counter target to qualify....but...by a little circuit breaker management, you could fire only one gun...and shoot short...into the gravel in front of the counter target...gravel also made the counter target count as a hit...that is how I managed to get 120 hits with 100 rounds...lots of passes at the target, short bursts. Yeah, I cheated..

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I am also a fan of Lubriplate for the '14s and M1s. Getting hard to find where I am, so I switched over to Lucas Gun Grease. Any grease is better when freshly (and sparingly) applied. Too much will collect dirt and debris, and left to sit too long will gob up.

Remember the horror stories of cleaning surplus firearms with *old cosmoline*? Cosmoline is a heavy grease used for long term storage. Let it sit too long and it turns to crud. Really hard to get off. Although I try to give all of my firearms a good cleaning/oiling every six months, sometimes that turns into a whole year. You can quickly tell when gun grease has sat for a year.

·
9,032 Posts
High pressure red colored grease used for gas engine pre assembly. It can be bought at most auto parts store. Lucas Oil brand is real good. It’s gooey and sticky so it won’t fling off. I actually used it first as Shooters Choice, but found out what was in the tube, so I went to a auto parts store and bought a tub of the Lucas grease and just refill the syringe.

Another is any grease that has PTFE in it. Can’t recommend any brand but I’ve use in auto pistols with good results, although I do prefer the red grease. I use these greases on the reciprocal parts such as slides on auto pistols and bolt lugs in rifles.

Lucas, Extreme Duty, Gun Oil I use for lubing springs and pins in guns because it will penetrate the spring coil and pins but not fling off or dry up do to gun powder residue. It is also one of the best lubricant for the bolt carrier in an AR15.

For triggers like in an AR15 or auto pistol I use Chip McCormik, Trigger Job. It’s a grease with molybdenum disulfide in it. This will reduce trigger pull and in some cases smooth trigger creep. I have done test with several hand guns were in the case of my little Walther P22, it reduced trigger pull by 5 oz. and made the trigger pull weight consistent +/- an 1 oz. Amazing stuff. Plus that it’s like Brill Cream, a little dab will do you.
View attachment 235632
That Lucas Gun Oil is the best I have seen.

·
Premium Member
19,197 Posts
I use this grease on shotgun chokes and pivot pins on O/U shotguns. My son had his choke stuck in his 870 years ago. Since then we put a dab of this on every choke. Never a problem since. Walmart $5.

upload_2020-10-3_8-43-6.png

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
You are welcome rz. Don't remember which model, but in one video the guy runs about a hundred patches with solvent through the bore till one comes out clean. Then dry ones till clean. He then runs an oiled one and it comes out filthy. lol So he runs a bunch of oiled ones through till it's clean. ha Just sayin' things don't always go as expected, and oil must be a pretty good cleaner. Oil is adequate, but I use a little grease on parts that move a lot. A thin film will do. I rub it into a patch or Q tip and apply it. You asked what kind, I use the mil.com, but there are lots of good ones, and in time you will figure out which one you like.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I took my Henry apart today.
Very easy, simple

Putting back together proved to be a small problem.

Vidoes showed all I needed juat had to whatch them a few times.

Videos showed me how to clean and what to clean.
Showed me what to lube and not to lube.
Nary a drop of grease.

Problemed solved.

Thanks for all of the replies,
Dale

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,249 Posts
For gun grease, I use Slip 2000 “EWG” exclusively now. Excellent stuff. Like the others mentioned, a little goes a long way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts