gun safe electronic lock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smokyhollowforge, Apr 18, 2009.

1. smokyhollowforge

smokyhollowforge New Member

I am looking at buying a Granite security 24 gun safe new but the electronic lock does not work at all. Already tried a new battery still does not work. The store has discounted it by 50% and wants to sell it as is. Does anyone know how expensive they are to replace or what goes bad with them. This safe is a floor model and I am thinking the buttons have been pushed hundreds of times. Any help would be great.
    Thank you
    Ps: The door is open and the lock pins are stuck out.

2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Contact the manufacture before doing anything to find out the costs involved.

3. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I have two safes w/electronic locks. Both function well.
    They also have a key that comes with them. Tear the faceplate off, insert key, open safe.

Sounds like some has lost all the paperwork (and keys).:eek:

If you can't lock it, it's worth 00.00 dollars.

4. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

The place i bought my safe from said their cost on those was $80...

mike
    gn

5. smokyhollowforge

I do not think this one has a key. The store manger seems like he does not want to fool with it, he just wants to move it out. I have not ask yet about the paper work. I was thinking that if I can pick it up for around $350 -$400 bucks it might be worth it. I was also wondering if I could take off the electronic lock and put a dial/combination type one on. I emailed Winchester safes but have not herd a word back yet. The sales ticket on the safe says 1400 for 45 minutes and life time warranty but I can not find a web site for granite security. I get directed to Winchester safes. I thought if I bought I might be able to get it fixed under warranty but if they are not in business any more that will not work.
    Thanks

6. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Chances are there is probably a reason why the shop owner does not want to mess with it....
    I'd pass it on by!

mike
    gn

7. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Yep, if the shop owner is acting like that, that's a red flag. Shop elsewhere. :eek:

8. cec

cec New Member

If the lock is all that wrong, a locksmith can do the work for about $300 - $400. At least that was my cost when having one replaced.

I have one those Winchester safes and I replaced the lock because the previous owner abused it and threw it out of alignment. I went from a manual lock to the electronic and am glad it did.

9. smokyhollowforge

I looked a new lock up on line looks like a S&G or Lagard lock would run about $150-$200. I think I could replace it myself since the door is open. The store that has it is a Sam,s club near me. What I was wondering is if some one that new how to change the combo change it just to mess with Sam's club. I was reading on line how to change the combo and it does not seem hard. The problem is now If I do not have the correct combo I can not get in to change it.
    Thanks