Gun Safe Humidity...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Apr 18, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Several questions actually...

What humidity % level should my safe be at? What is considered the norm for a gunsafe?

I have 3 of those rechargable Safe Dry cans in my safe. I bought two different brands of electronic temp/humidity sensors. Brand A says 45% in the apartment and Brand B says 49%. I put Brand B in the safe and after a couple of days it got down to 39% which means it droped 10% if there is any degree of acuracy in sensor B... Obviously one of the sensors is inacurate because there is allways a 4-5% difference between the two when they are in the room together.

So here are my questions....
    #1 What should a safes humidity percentage be at?
    #2 Just how low can the percentage of humidity be taken down to? I assume that 0% humidity is impossible? I remember hearing a weather forcast from the desert one time years ago that said the humidity was 10%... What is the absolute lowest that humidity percentage could ever be in the air?
    #3 Does anyone know where i can buy a humidity meter that is intended for taking readings in things like safes... one that is High Quality and not just walmart-fallapart-inacurate kind of stuff?
    #4 Has anyone ever used those anti moisture wraps or sleeves that guns sometimes come in when they're new? Would it be worth putting a rifle or shotgun in one of those if its not going to be used for a long time?

The reason all this has me concerned is because my Remington 870 has these spots on the barrel that look like oil on the barrel but i suspect its the beginning of rust coming thru the finish. The humidity in my apartment was kind of high for a while...i think maybe in the 55% range and what i was doing was to leave the safe door open the entire time i was home and only shutting it up while i was gone to the store...never more than 1 1/2 hours. I think that was the wrong way to do it. Would have been fine if i were running a dehumidifier in the house especially after showers...

What do yall think?

mike
    gn

2. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Re: Gun Safe Humitity...

Not sure what your 'safe dry' cans are, but I have an Evadry in mine.
    It is rechargable, and the color of the dessicant will tell you when to plug it in for a renewal. Works great for me.:cool:

3. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Its the same thing. Moisture absorbing crystals that turn from blue to pink once they need recharged. I think they go in the oven to recharge?

mike
    gn

4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Mine just plug into the wall.
    Works great.

5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I would honestly think that if your humidity is at 50% or less you're doing GREAT. I've had guns here where I live where outdoor humidity is 95%+ in the summer way before I had a gun safe and desiccant bag. I think that less than 60% is just freakin' awesome!

I could always be wrong. :)

As for the accuracy of electronic measuring instruments... Don't absolutely trust either of them. Put the +/-15% factor on them both. If they're commercially purchased there's a good bit of error built in... :D

6. bigbore480

bigbore480 Member

ain't that a bad word " Humitity "

7. merrill

merrill New Member

Re: Gun Safe Humitity...or humidity

Those devices sound great. Personally I use a product called Driveway Heat which is available at auto parts stores. The active ingredient is calcium chloride which is hard to beat as a dessicant. Simply dispose of it when it liquidfies. How effective is it? I store my photographic equiptment with it. I also used it in analytical chemistry to keep samples dry.

8. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Thanks for the replies everyone....

mike
    gn

9. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I thought he meant "Humility" When you're embarrased to show people your gun safe...:D

10. bigbore480

bigbore480 Member

I stand corrected.