The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some feedback on this story. I, along with my bro-in-law were deer hunting up North in MN. The setting is a hunting shack full of grown men (no children). All the men own pistols and rifles. We typically will carry our pistols holstered into the woods when setting up stands etc. And we carry locked and loaded w/ safety on. I carry Sig P938. On the Saturday of opener, i had entered the shack and removed my pistol, still loaded, still on safety and still in the holster. Later that afternoon I went back to my stand and forgot to pick up my pistol. Still loaded, still on safety and still in holster. As it turns out, my bro-in-law was notified by somebody in the shack that they were uncomfortable w/ that gun. So he pulled the gun out of the holster, removed the mag and cleared the chamber then hid the gun under a mattress for me to claim. Once I went to pick it up, it wasn’t there and I asked. Well ..... then the doors of hell swung open and my bro-in-law yelled at me said how unsafe it was and it made some feel uncomfortable. And he did this in front of a few others. Aside from him treating me as a child, I disagreed about the gun being unsafe (giving this particular setting). I did agree that I should not have left it unattended. But again, did not feel it was unsafe until he removed it from the holster. He was very black and white about the issue. Taking all the emotions out of this scenario, was this unsafe? I have had multiple pistol training classes not including CCW (I don’t consider that training). I’ve also participated in multiple pistol competitions. Did I take it for granted that hunter’s aren’t afraid to see a gun locked and loaded, in a holster w/ the safety engaged. Again, my argument is not whether or not I should have ledt it there. It is strickly about safety. I told him he should have picked up the holstered gun and either notified me or moved it or both. He still demanded I apologize for leaving the weapon on the table despite my arguments.

·
Super Moderator
40,074 Posts
I wouldn't apologize for anything and personally, I would tell them all to kiss my butt. If a bundh of grown men are afraid to see a pistol, they don't need to be out hunting with those scary long guns.

BTW, since this has nothing to do with forum technical support, I moved it to the proper forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't apologize for anything and personally, I would tell them all to kiss my butt. If a bundh of grown men are afraid to see a pistol, they don't need to be out hunting with those scary long guns.

BTW, since this has nothing to do with forum technical support, I moved it to the proper forum.
Thank you for moving. And sorry.

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
What? A GUN in a hunting cabin? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!!

Seriously - this guy was being a jerk. I can see somebody hiding it when everyone was going to leave the camp unattended so it didn't get stolen - but to make a big deal of it is way over the top. Just remember that the Good Lord made more horses arses than he made horses.

·
Premium Member
12,361 Posts
If you're lucky, maybe they'll get a divorce. If you're unlucky, you'll be like when my sister and BIL got a divorce. I would have preferred to have kept the BIL.

No, not really. Divorce is never pleasant. I was trying to introduce some levity....but I would have preferred to have kept the BIL. You didn't do a diddly-darn thing wrong. Whoever was uncomfortable shouldn't be invited back and I wouldn't apologize for anything. Good grief..it is a HUNTING camp. Firearms are kinda, sorta required, ain't they?

·
GUNZILLA
6,464 Posts
WHAT THE HELL!!! DUDE! A loaded gun in a hunting cabin supposedely with only adults, I won't bother to ask what gender, nowadays no one knows anyway.

I would tell them all to kiss my butt
EGGSACTLY!!! I too would tell all of them to kiss my but and twice on Sunday. I definitely would never hunt with any of them. As for the brother in law, that can be an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Me think it would of been time to take brother in law out behind cabin for being a A** , then ask if any of the other snowflakes would like to go talk . BIL was way out of line . It was not his place to play boss man . Do you hunt with this same group before or was this first time . If was the first time it would of been the last time for me .

One more thing , I see your a new member . Welcome aboard to TFF !!!!!!

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,944 Posts
I would like some feedback on this story. I, along with my bro-in-law were deer hunting up North in MN. The setting is a hunting shack full of grown men (no children). All the men own pistols and rifles. We typically will carry our pistols holstered into the woods when setting up stands etc. And we carry locked and loaded w/ safety on. I carry Sig P938. On the Saturday of opener, i had entered the shack and removed my pistol, still loaded, still on safety and still in the holster. Later that afternoon I went back to my stand and forgot to pick up my pistol. Still loaded, still on safety and still in holster. As it turns out, my bro-in-law was notified by somebody in the shack that they were uncomfortable w/ that gun. So he pulled the gun out of the holster, removed the mag and cleared the chamber then hid the gun under a mattress for me to claim. Once I went to pick it up, it wasn’t there and I asked. Well ..... then the doors of hell swung open and my bro-in-law yelled at me said how unsafe it was and it made some feel uncomfortable. And he did this in front of a few others. Aside from him treating me as a child, I disagreed about the gun being unsafe (giving this particular setting). I did agree that I should not have left it unattended. But again, did not feel it was unsafe until he removed it from the holster. He was very black and white about the issue. Taking all the emotions out of this scenario, was this unsafe? I have had multiple pistol training classes not including CCW (I don’t consider that training). I’ve also participated in multiple pistol competitions. Did I take it for granted that hunter’s aren’t afraid to see a gun locked and loaded, in a holster w/ the safety engaged. Again, my argument is not whether or not I should have ledt it there. It is strickly about safety. I told him he should have picked up the holstered gun and either notified me or moved it or both. He still demanded I apologize for leaving the weapon on the table despite my arguments.
He's a moron. Tell your sister to divorce him and find a man with an IQ bigger than his belt size. The P938 is inherently safe with the safety on; heck, it even disconnects the trigger entirely from the firing mechanism. His asinine behavior was an insult to you, and a public display of his ignorance. Loser...

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Your BIL is a jerk and your hunting partners are pansies but what you did was unsafe IMHO. Holster, no holster, chamber mt or not, safety engaged or not you left a loaded weapon in a public area unattended. How well do you know the members of that hunting party other than your BIL? My take is you messed up and they handed it completely wrong.

·
Super Moderator
26,931 Posts
Everyone else has pretty much said everything that I was thinking. Your sister needs to kick him to the curb and you need to stop hanging out with snowflakes and find some real men to hunt with.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Everyone else has pretty much said everything that I was thinking. Your sister needs to kick him to the curb and you need to stop hanging out with snowflakes and find some real men to hunt with.
Me thinks Bro in law is lying, he was not was notified by somebody in the shack, He was the one. Either he names names or hes a ...Well I can't say what he is on the forum...

·
Registered
711 Posts
No question the B-I-L is a jerk but he may be the man of your sisters dreams and that has nothing to do with your relationship with him as long as he treats her good. Hunt somewhere else. I have a couple of B-I-L's I minimally engage with and one I have no communication with at all. No problem.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
all the above! very important, why did none of the others tell your bil he was out of line? are they all a bunch of nancy boys? and that is why i would not want to be around them let alone hunt with them. guys that did not "fit in" were not welcome in any camp i was involved with.

rick

·
Premium Member
19,593 Posts
Your BIL was out of line. It is a bad thing to leave a gun laying around and I feel it was ok for him to bring it up off to the side away from other people. I would take him aside and tell him never to do that again.

One of my friends left his shotgun on the rack outside overnight. He forgot it. It rained that night and the gun was full of water. Someone at the club recognized the gun and gave him a call the next day. Hey, are you missing something. He ran to the club, cleaned it up, and took it home. No one tried to belittle him or called him out. He made a mistake and he was aware of it. He is a club range safety officer and that proves anyone can make a mistake. We do still kid him about it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts