The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out today looking for a gun safe and stumbled upon these forums. I will ask here. What would be the best gun safe to buy. I have a glock 34 and I may be getting a smaller concealed carry gun. I have no children in the house. I would like something I can access quickly if ever needed. I thought the fingerprint one would be good, no need to remember numbers when under stress and no need to find a key in the dark. However I have read some negative things about them, does anyone have any thoughts? ideas? opinions?

Kathy

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I wonder about the attraction to buy the tiny safes other than keeping guns from children. If the purpose is to keep from a burglar, what would keep him from taking your entire safe? Of course it could be bolted to your night stand - but would you want to drill holes in your furniture?

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are a lot of considerations. Are you going to store one to two guns only or does the possibility exist that you may get more guns down the road besides the 2nd one you hinted at? When I bought my first handgun, I thought it would be the only one. I ended up buying another a month later and have acquired others since. I don't think I am done yet either lol.

I agree with rhmc about the small safe. If you're going to invest money in a safe to protect your investment, I would go with something bigger. It's worth the money, makes it harder for a thief to walk away with it, and you can always store other valuables like cash, heirlooms, jewelry, ammo, etc.

During a critical situation, fine motor skills are lost so trying to fumble with numbers on a pad is not ideal. So my recommendation would be a full size safe (I've seen them as low as $200-$300 at a local sportings good store), but to keep your personal defense weapon in your nightstand unlocked and ready to use. You can always lock it up in the safe when you leave home.

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
I have one of the older quck acess safe, before the bio metric ones
mine you still have to lay your fingers on the buttons and press them in the right order

this safe is just for my wife's gun when I'm not around

it works fine for what it is and has a way to unlock it from the base that is screwed into the wood so you can take it with you if needed

the only thing they are good for is keeping guns from kids. Any two bit thief with a few minutes and a crow bar can get in one of them if they want to

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The point about the smaller safes are very valid. I actually have a small travel safe so that's not a big concern I figure this one will be bolted to the wall. We have a spot in my closet that will work fine. Today I got a sig sauer p938 for my concealed carry. So 2 guns for sure. I don't for see getting anymore however I can not say I wont.

Double D, I do like that safe. Do you know when you use the fingerprint part does it beep? I saw another one that looked good but people complained it beeped very loudly, not very stealthy if you want to quietly get your gun out when you think there may be someone in your home.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Since you don't have any children, then just leave the gun out where you can access it quickly when you are home. I don't see a need for the biometric safe, unless you are worried about unauthorized access to the guns. If the guns stay at home when you leave then a good small safe with a combination or key lock would be all that you need.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
The point about the smaller safes are very valid. I actually have a small travel safe so that's not a big concern I figure this one will be bolted to the wall. We have a spot in my closet that will work fine. Today I got a sig sauer p938 for my concealed carry. So 2 guns for sure. I don't for see getting anymore however I can not say I wont.

Double D, I do like that safe. Do you know when you use the fingerprint part does it beep? I saw another one that looked good but people complained it beeped very loudly, not very stealthy if you want to quietly get your gun out when you think there may be someone in your home.
Very smart. I think it's a great idea. I would recommend keeping the gun in reach during the time you are at home and locked away when you are gone.

I think it is awesome when ladies get involved with personal pretection. Good for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very smart. I think it's a great idea. I would recommend keeping the gun in reach during the time you are at home and locked away when you are gone.

I think it is awesome when ladies get involved with personal pretection. Good for you.

Thanks, it is all very new to me. My husband is 100% blind and he also travels a fair bit. We had a break in at my home a number of years ago (no one but my pitbull/Boxer was home and he made sure they could find everything they wanted) and over $5000 worth of items and money was taken so I am a little worried about leaving the gun just out where anyone could get it when I was not home. It looks like, from what people are saying, I may just get just a standard safe that I can bolt down and use it when I am leaving the house. The small one I have now only holds one gun so looks at least on that side I will upgrade in size if nothing else.

Thanks to everyone for the input, I had no idea were to start looking or even what to look at. I think I have some fairly good ideas now.

Kathy

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
my pitbull/Boxer was home and he made sure they could find everything they wanted)
Man/burglers best friend?

Another method of quick access is to simply unlock the gun safe while at home, no fumbling around to open it in a hury but... I prefer keeping one out within reach. When things go bump in the night, time may not be on your side.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
if you think you will ever want more guns.. and or long guns.. I'd urge you to step up to one of the fire rated safes. many of them are water rated as well. even if you don't go for a big fatboy.. something in a 16-24 gun safe can be affordable, and if no long guns.. many can be sectioned into stacking shelves. good palce to stick your jewlry and important papers too.. protection from some fire and water.. storms.. theft.. etc.

the smaller fire rated safes.. i think I have seen 16-20 gun models in the high 300$ range. I'd get one of those before spending 100-200$ on a small box pistol 'cabinet', an upright gun 'cabinet', or a box safe / sentry box, fire rated or otherwise. plus if you ever get gun insurance.. some policies give you a discount for fire safes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've shopped around a lot for a good biometric gunsafe and the best one that I've found is The GunBox Biometric + RF gun safe. Not only can I program all 10 of my fingerprints but I can program my husband's as well. It holds about 200 fingerprints. It also comes with a RFID label and wristband. They also offer some sweet RFID rings as well. The RFID is totally optional. No fumbling with keys or codes if there's an emergency. It holds my gun plus a magazine. I've even seen pictures of people that can fit 2 smaller guns in it. You can bolt it down, upside down to a wall etc. You have access to your guns in about 3 seconds. This gun safe exceeded my expectations and blows GunVault out of the water. Gunvault is cheap and feels like those till boxes they use in retail. Their videos are impressive too. They have videos where the GunBox is put through a "torture test" not only by the company but by other companies as well. These gun safes are not only child proof but have an alarm so if it is moved it will go off (sounds like a fire alarm).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Thanks, it is all very new to me. My husband is 100% blind and he also travels a fair bit. We had a break in at my home a number of years ago (no one but my pitbull/Boxer was home and he made sure they could find everything they wanted) and over $5000 worth of items and money was taken so I am a little worried about leaving the gun just out where anyone could get it when I was not home. It looks like, from what people are saying, I may just get just a standard safe that I can bolt down and use it when I am leaving the house. The small one I have now only holds one gun so looks at least on that side I will upgrade in size if nothing else.

Thanks to everyone for the input, I had no idea were to start looking or even what to look at. I think I have some fairly good ideas now.

Kathy
First off, welcome to the forum! You live in KY! Go get a CCW, and don't worry about where to put your gun, it's on you, or beside you at all times. If I wanted to buy a safe that would keep thieves out of my stuff, then it would have to bolt to concrete. I had a really good friend one time who was blind, he carried a .38, and he could hit what he shot at!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have two Liberty gun safes and am very satisfied with them. I do suggest if you start to buy one, after selecting the one you want, go to the next larger one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts