Gun Safe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ARB, Apr 23, 2009.

1. ARB

ARB New Member

Has there ever been a proposal for instead of banning certain types of firearms having a manditory safe storage law? I know a lot of you all have firearms hidden throughout the house so this probably won't go over well. But, what I mean is if you are away from the house it is some type of law that you have to have your arms stowed properly in case of a break-in. We all hear of the burglaries where the bad guys walked off with firearms.
    I know that before I was able to afford a safe I always had a gnawing feeling in my gut when I was away for any long period of time.

2. islenos

islenos Active Member

This question has been nawin' on me for awhile. I would need a couple of safes any a place to put them; it's easy for me to walk a rifle to the back room but trying to squeeze a safe down the hall, I shutter to think about it.

Most of my firearms are boxed up but the few that I have loose in my gun room I secure by running a cable through the trigger guards. Not the safest method but would be robbers are not going to take the time or have the brain power to figure a way around it.

3. ARB

ARB New Member

Yeah, I understand that it probably woudn't be feesible for a lot of people that have more than 20 firearms it was just a thought to keep the higher ups off our backs.

4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I know what you mean ARB, mine were well hidden, however my fear was fire. It's kinda difficult to hide something from a good house fire. I sprang for a good safe when I realized that it equalled the average cost of ONE of my 'pets'.

5. islenos

islenos Active Member

I have lost count of the long arms that I have, that is why most everything is boxed up and stashed in a closet, the ones' that I cable are just the 8 I'm thinking about shooting, then the two I'm currently working with are in Pelican cases.

Now my next house is going to have a walk in gun safe/room. Concrete walls with a Safe Door.

.. yea mrkirker, I fear fire and tornadoes more then I do thieves.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  6. ARB

ARB New Member

I found it hard to purchase a safe because everytime I'd walk into BassPro to buy one I'd walk out with a new piece. I finally sucked it up rationalizing that it didn't matter if I had those guns if they were stolen, burned, or blew away.

7. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I don't own enough firearms for a safe:( I can't really justify the expense of a safe for one rifle. The pistol is always with me when I leave the house.

8. cranky cj

cranky cj Member

think about it guys, the price/cost of a safe is peanuts to losing your guns in a breakin/fire etc., or worse yet the idea of a kid getting to a gun. I have kids, grade school boys, it was a no-brainer for me. It was one of the first things i got and anchored it to the concrete wall in the basement.

9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have been broken into twice in the past 30 years and both times they got guns that I couldn't replace. After the second time, I was smart enough (but slow) to invest in a safe. I am lucky that I have not been broken into since I got the safe, but I feel a lot better having it.

10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I wouldn't have a firearm in the house without a safe.

11. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

A while back I switched alarm companies and got the addition of a cellular monitoring interface that I can check online. If the dumb butt cuts the phone line, instead of making the police response slower, there's a report of a line cut and an entry. As part of the deal I took the alarm monitoring guy on a house tour. He told me it's very wise that I have a gun safe when he saw it... He said that most of the new alarms he installs are because someone lost a boat load of firearms in a robbery. My safe is bolted to a concrete floor, the alarm system is basically fool-proof, and if I'm at home the thief is dead... I like proactive actions! :D

As far as laws requiring gun safes, there are some on the books. I believe that Boston requires properly securing firearms when not at home. I know of a guy that had to hire a lawyer to defend himself because some lowlife criminal broke into his apartment and stole his gun. I'm not a proponent of that level of law. That's absolutely pro-criminal and anti-2nd... :mad:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  12. Brian48

Brian48 New Member

I've never had a gun stolen (Thank God), but my house did get broken into one time and about 35k worth of rare sports memorabilia got stolen. When I renovated the house, I made sure I had room for a safe. My only regret is that I didn't get a bigger one. We keep all our valuables in it now, now just guns.

13. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I'd pay for a $400 safe because I have over $1200 in guns, two are family hand-me-downs and totally irreplaceable.

14. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I would have a huge problem with this kind of law.

First, how are they going to say it? They would certainly set some kind of minimum standards about how the thing is built in order for it to qualify as an acceptable safe. What they would come down to is almost certainly outside my budget.

Beyond just that, it would all but eliminate the right to own guns for people who rent their homes. No landlord wants a safe bolted to the floor, only to be removed at the end of the lease, and no renter wants to buy a $500 safe and then leave it when they move out in two years.
    I know not all renters are in the situation I described, but a law requiring a safe would definitely infringe on the right to keep arms.

15. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

All you need is a "Beer Truck" (those Hand Trucks the beer truck and UPS drivers use in their deliveries) and a couple strong backs.