Gun Show this weekend: AR Coming?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladimir, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

So my parents have pretty much nixed an AR for graduation due largely to financial reasons (save a PS90 which isn't what I am looking for at the moment). That being said, that frees up the fact that some money will be coming my way in May.

I am thinking it might be time to take the plunge and put an AR on the credit card. In this market it isn't really going to lose value, and I would much rather regret buying one and having a hard time paying it off- then regret not buying one and never getting one. Absolute worst case scenario that I can foresee is I would have to sell it to pay the credit card off (and not really worried about a loss in value at this time). So worst case scenario I end up where I began.

That being said, I have been keeping my eye on SU16s on the auction sites and this is probably my best bet in the range of "what I am looking for" coupled with affordability. But I do prefer the more stereotypical m-variant(I'm sure there is a fancy term) so will be keeping my eyes peeled at this weekends gun show. So my question is this...

Are there any affordable AR's that I should avoid? This could include kaleshnikovs as well, though I would probably rather splurge $800 on an SU16 than on a kaleshnikov (even if it were cheaper) at this time.

2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

yes, i would stay away from parts guns. if this is your first and maybe your only rifle of this type i think you should get a good one. dpms, bushmaster, olympic arms, just make sure that the gun is factory assembled and new. dont let a cheap price distract you. i dont know a thing about the ktel's su16's.

3. artabr

artabr New Member

This is good advice.

Art

4. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

I have previously told you congrats on graduation...and I repeat....
    as to getting a new gun...am glad you can post it here...when I did, it was moved ....?

Best to you though....and get a good AR ....

5. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

It probably will be moved to the long gun section. Probably bad of me but I post it here because I know it will get more views initially than if it were posted in the long gun forum right away :eek:.

6. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

I've never shot one of them, but I'm not a big fan of the Olympic Arms as far as the way things fit. When I worked part time at a big name outdoor sporting goods store, we had several Olympic Arms AR's on the shelf... all with the adjustable butt stock. Out of four that a customer showed me, none of them would close all the way, becoming stuck with about two inches of travel left. When pulling the charging handle back, the action also felt very gritty compared to the Bushmaster and DMPS rifles on the shelf. Just my 2¢.

7. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

Bummer I'm watching a brand new Bushmaster flat-top for $1,200 on an auction site... but hesitant to buy something before giving the gun show a look through...

8. muddober

muddober Active Member

In my opinion you cannot go wrong with the Bushmaster. I have in the past owned two of them and several Colts. I have found the Bushmaster for fit, finish and reliability equal to Colt in every respect. I have no experience with any of the others.

Ron

9. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

The custom AK I bought in July at $485 is going for nearly $1K now. I wouldn't rule out Kalashnikovs. Besides the obvious cheaper price overall, the AKs have MUCH cheaper ammo these days. :D They are not accuracy kings but if you shoot at short indoor ranges like most of the folks on here do, then I'm not sure you'll notice a substantial difference.

With that said, I was about one wife eye-roll and 'hell no' away from buying a DPMS .223 carbine 2 weeks ago. They were $699 6 months ago and are now $899. :(

10. durk

durk Active Member

You probably won't find a better deal at the gun show. The guns shows here in Oklahoma are trying to put the screws to us gun shoppers. They know very well the situation the American gun owner/buyer is in and want in on the action.:( But.....on the other hand, everybody wants to make some money.

11. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I talked to a gun shop owner the other day about how well guns and ammo have been moving for him. He replyed back that it was nice but the problem is once the product moves off the shelf he is unable to get it restocked.

This is called capitolism and is a part of supply side economics. Right now there is a huge demand for these products and a limited supply causing the value to increase. Not good for the consumer but good for the manufacturers. :(

12. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

My dealer called his main distributor yesterday... asked if he had any Ruger LCP's on the shelf... nope. How about any Smith and Wesson M&P-15 rifles... haven't been able to keep any of those in stock since November. Any 223 ammo... they just laughed. He finally asked them just what they DID have in stock...
    fishing lures!

13. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

Well **** I can get a Bushmaster 16" flat top for like $1,000 at my dad's range but they only sell to officers/members so I don't think there is any way he can buy it, but on my credit card because then it looks like a straw purchase. ****.