Gun shows, my rant and rave for the week ( 1 2 3 )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt Guest

warpig883
    (1/27/02 2:04:21 am)
    | Edit | Del All Gun shows, my rant and rave for the week
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am so damn sick of gunshows. I don't know if it is just gun shows in SD or what but they just plain suck. I have NEVER seen a good deal at one. I was just at one and saw so danged many $50.00 JABC SxS that were priced at $400 or so it was crazy. I was a Browning A-5 light 20 priced at $1100.00 used!!

I do not see how these guys make a living I seldom see a gun bought at one of these. It is a group called Dakota Territory Gun Traders, or something, that does quite a few of them and it is the same guys trying to sell the same guns year after year.

I know we have some guys here with FFL's that do the gun show thing and maybe you can enlighten me. Why is it that gun show prices for used guns are usually as high as new price? And why is it I can only get an offer of $75.00 for a 788 .243 Remmington from the dealers there and there are asking $500.00 for the same gun.

I guess I should be posting this in Fire For Effect cause I am so damn fired up about gunshows.

And to top it off You got to pay $4.00 to even get in the dang thing.

I asked one guy about buying a brass 8 gauge shotshell for a converstaion piece $80.00 he wanted. Two tables over EXACT same thing $50.00.
    We got the BIG gunshow for the area next month, I go every year. I just might give them up for good. What a waste of time.

I saw a dealer with a USED Marlin mod 60 .22. You can buy this good little autoloader anywhere for $100.00 BRAND NEW. Walmart had them for $110.00 with a scope. This guy at the gun show was asking $150.00 for a used one. Give me a break. I told him what they were selling for new and he said he can't buy them for that. I said to give up his FFL and follow me to the gunstore because I can buy them for that!
    GEEZ
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

Edited by: warpig883 at: 1/27/02 2:13:40 am

timberbeast
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/27/02 2:59:12 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: Gun shows, my rant and rave for the week
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey, War, I bet the small FFL guy CAN"T buy them for that! The big national chains VERY often sell below cost, figuring you'll buy a bunch of other stuff while you're there, small guys can't do that, I cut them slack on that, but not on having a Nylon 66 on the table for 300 bucks, please!!! However, I agree about gunshows these days. I quit a couple years back, went looking for a Blackhawk, found a couple with FAIRLY good prices, said I'd take it after a bit of dickering, then the guy says he ain't set up to do the paperwork??????????? Why's he have it on the table for sale? Happened all around, maybe NICS was down, maybe they don't like me, I don't care, I can buy from guys I know on the net, or guys around town I know, if I ever decide what I want next. Got tired of dipsh$t idiots bumping me out of the way and grabbing stuff off the table to look at it without even asking the seller, too, few occasions almost turned to blows, hey a guy's got a N.I.B. commemorative, with the factory tie on the action, some guy comes up and racks the action??? I'll pass on gun shows, though years back, a guy could get a good deal, and make some buddies along the way. I know enough people here and other forums, if I decide I want something, somebody will find it for me, at a decent price, and legal.

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/27/02 3:03:06 am)
    timber - I still like the gunshows here. Almost the best way to buy a gun/rifle from a private individual (which is totally legal in this state). No paperwork, no fuss.
    TLynn

timberbeast
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/27/02 3:05:34 am)
    Tag, you're it!!! Used to be like that here!

AntiqueDr
    (1/27/02 6:09:14 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Gun shows, my rant and rave for the week
    Used to run anywhere from 12 to 20 tables, 3 weekends a month. Stopped that about 3 years ago, never looked back.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/27/02 7:52:33 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    "Got tired of dipsh$t idiots bumping me out of the way and grabbing stuff off the table to look at it without even asking the seller, too, few occasions almost turned to blows, "

Ha, and I thought it was just the Floridians that were that rude. You would think that they would show some kind of manners and respect. I'll take it one step further timberbeast, how bout when your talking with a seller and some idiot butts right in and starts asking the seller a question about a product he is not gonna buy? or your trying to barder over the price of something and another idiot butts in and starts asking the seller if he knows how to make this or that gun full auto? Burns me to no end to deal with jerks like that.

I agree !!!
    High prices and some very rude people = I'm not there.

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

Zigzag2
    (1/27/02 7:55:50 am)
    It's too bad that the gun show as some of us knew them are gone. The same is true with the pawn shops around here.

I can remember when there was 1 pawn shop... now there is
    at least 6-7 of them. And the the best 1's that sold guns , no longer do! What's up with that?

“I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.” “To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.” --George Mason

Bob In St Louis
    (1/27/02 7:58:18 am)
    I gotta admit - I tend to go more for the gunshows that are the true collectors venues - more of the old C&R stuff, and antiques. There are some dealers there with the modern stuff, but I tend to focus on the true collector stuff (DAMN IT! Quit snickering! Spanish stuff IS collectable!)
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/27/02 8:26:56 am)
    A quandary of unsuitable exposures to thieving your sanity!
    Scalpers in abundance.....
    Charlie D
    Put on display .....
    and it ends there!

Edited by: Different name at: 1/27/02 8:29:35 am

TallTLynn
    (1/27/02 9:10:55 am)
    Flhunter - I think the rudeness at some gun shows is a common thing all across this nation. I try to be polite and when I ask a question it is because I'm considering the weapon and/or ammo or whatever is there.

But this last gun show - the pushing/shoving and attitude of some of the people there was really weird, worse than the weekend right after 9/11.
    TLynn

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/27/02 9:14:02 am)
    Thank god for the internet! Even a guy living out in West Sheepkiss can survey the marketplace for a particular firearm, get expert feedback on value and tech specs without leaving the comfort of his own cave! Still, the guys who sell at gunshows must be making SOMETHING at it, perhaps cashing in on the impulse buyer, who just has to buy, once he picks up a piece. Must be something like that, 'cause packing up boxes of guns (4 times), sitting in a hot expo hall, and eating lousy food all weekend can't be THAT rewarding, can it?

bondai
    (1/27/02 12:36:42 pm)
    Here in Phoenix we have the Crossroads of the West Shows several times a year. Not too bad compared to some of the smaller one's. I have found some pretty good deals. It's a big show and you really have to shop around. It has it's share of overpriced items and sellers with attitudes.

Last year I was looking at an AR-15 preban lower. $800.00 was the asking price. It was a Colt in excellent condition with the stock. I looked at the serial number and compared it to my list of preban serial numbers, it was not on the list...not even close. The seller asks me what I am doing. I told him I am verifying that the lower is in fact a preban. He says you don't need to be comparing any serial numbers to any list, are you a cop ? I said no, I just want to be sure I am getting what I am paying for and this is not a preban lower. He got totally irate with me, what an ass. These are the kind of dealers who give gun shows a bad name and make it hard on everyone.

The small shows in the area look more like a gang member reunion than a gun show. I went to one in Glendale last year. I'll wager that half the people in there were illegal aliens, no joke.

BlackGun
    (1/27/02 8:16:49 pm)
    I'll just throw a quick 2 cents in here and I'll veave it alone
    #1 Handy capped folks love guns too, but rarely ever do they get to see the edge of the table due to the Freaking people pushing and shoving to stand in front of a table and talk between themselves. Not once have I seen a wheel chair abled person get to roolup to and enjoy a gun show like a able bodied person. Pi**es me off to no end!
    #2 Illegial alliens. The last gun show I went to was in Pasadena Texas. I swear I was in Tejauana, Mexico. A Hispanic male with broken english walked up to me foffering me a AR-15 for $800.00. He had three slung to his shoulder. All I could think of the fake Rolexes for $17.95 you can buy at the border towns here in Texas.

Tread On Me, But, Leave My DONUT Alone! !

BlackGUN

TallTLynn
    (1/27/02 8:32:06 pm)
    BlackGun - at the gun show last weekend saw 3 different people in wheelchairs - not a one of them had a problem getting to the tables (I did but they didn't).

Most of us here tend to respect others and at least try to make sure they can see what they want to see or buy what they want to buy.
    TLynn

cointoss 2
    (1/27/02 8:40:05 pm)
    I'll bite. Not only do we have to pay to enter show but we have to pay to park as well. Most of the items have not even an inkling to do with guns and when you walk by twelve tables and finally see half a dozen overpriced single shot shotguns and non dealing dealer why bother. The better half and I were at one a couple of years ago before Christmas when a dealer shot some guy in the neck about 20 foot from me, seems he didn't check to see if the piece he was passing to a guy was loaded. Needless to say it really put a damper on my interest of shows and I couldn't pay the better half to even consider going.
    cointoss2

Jackson
    (1/27/02 10:13:25 pm)
    Most pawn shops here in California gave up the gun sales because the red tape and paper work California demands of them

Page 1 2 3
    << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
    Author Comment
    timberbeast
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/27/02 10:49:37 pm)
    BG, if I see someone in a wheelchair, I'll give him or her a hand everytime, if they allow me to. I'll make anyone who has a problem with it think twice, as well. Could be me someday.

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/27/02 11:00:40 pm)
    I was at a gun show here in the south east some time ago and saw a guy come in with a with a model 81 Remington in perfect condition. The dealer at the 1st table call out to hm and motioned him over. I walked right up next to the guy and heard the dealer tell him it was worth $75 tops and the guy handed it to him. Later the same rifle was on the table priced at $300. Since then I've mostly been hanging around with a growing number of folks who are disgusted with the rediculous prices. We position ouselves outside and intercept the good gun deals before they can enter the building. (thats legal here). A week ago today at a show in Ga, I bought and sold a couple of pieces out side. The show promoter or one of his agents, came outside and told me I couldn't do that, and told me to leave. I reminded him that HE was on public property while outside, and that he had only rented the building from the city not the grounds, and further that as a local tax payer, I actually owned part of that property, he went away mad, but went away just the same.

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/27/02 11:22:28 pm)
    Timberbeast, your words "could be me someday" are words that everyone should think about. 20 years ago I never gave it a thought, and now I need one,can't afford one though. No insurance or anything. I can't walk more than a couple hundred feet so I haven't been to a gun show in a couple of years but back then I saw lots of rudeness with the show goers.If I ever am able to go to a gun show in the future it won't be here in the PRK.

TallTLynn
    (1/27/02 11:32:09 pm)
    jeeper - have you tried some of the humanitarian agencies or churches where you are? Were you a veteran?

It's not charity but if you need a wheelchair - they can be found for those who don't have the money to buy one. You just got to do a little background work.

If you are a veteran - let me know. If I know where you are I could probably find a veteran agency that would get you that chair.
    TLynn

Jackson
    (1/28/02 12:22:20 am)
    Cross roads of the West does have large shows and lots of sellers. But, bargains hell no. There biggest show in California is held at the Cow Place in San Francisco. Just to park and get into that show is a minimum of $14.00 and up to $18.00
    That is a rip off.

Jackson

bondai
    (1/28/02 9:46:31 am)
    Jackson. Everything is out of line in the PRC. I get tickets for free, I know the promoters son. Parking is $5.00...in Arizona that is.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/28/02 8:27:49 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    The shows sure aren't what they used to be,
    I go to search for specific items at certain
    shows but I haven't set up in many moons!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

shooter22
    (1/28/02 8:37:08 pm)
    BG, thanks for thinking of us buddy. I have no trouble getting to the tables, That's cause I am a big ugly cuss that is not afraid to run over feet. I had to run over one guys foot twice for him to get the message. He cussed at me and I flipped him off and his buddy said, "man, I knew you were hard headed, but You could have moved after the first foot got run over." In all seriousness, the best spot to be is right behind me at the gun show, I clear a wide path.

As for bargains, they are there. Usually by a guy selling an estate for a friend that know not what he has. This was the case for my brothers Ruger 220 swift w/tang safety flatbolt heavy barrel. We got it for $300 and he threw in a sling, rings, mounts. You want to find these bargains, you better go early and look quick. Don't hesitate or haggle on a good deal, cause there is a guy right behind you that is willing to pay more.

Now for my beef, COPS at the check in station that feel only themselves should be allowed to own guns. That was the case this weekend. There are a dozen ways to cable tie my gun shut, all but one will allow me to carry the clip in it. This egotistical dip sh!t would not do it anyway but that one way. Made me carry the clip. I was carrying my 45 Super with the 6 inch slide and porting. I think the cop had dick envy. My was bigger than his.

Bob In St Louis
    (1/28/02 9:14:25 pm)
    HHHmmm - It seems in some parts of the country the shows are getting rancid. I really have not seen that many problems here in the midwest - sure, we have our share of shady dealers that want to shortchange folks on buying guns from them - but like I said before - most the folks I know and hang with are honest C&R folks that give a fair price for collectables, and believe in fair trading and bartering.

Now from the other side of the table - there has been more and more folks coming into shows and being rude to the table holders; insulting their wares, questioning why dealers are not selling stuff at the listed dealer prices in Shotgun News (DUHH - friggin' morons!), questioning why my Turkish T-38 Mauser with 100% blueing and near mint fiddleback patterned walnut stock is priced at $105, whereas the guy two rows over is selling T-38 beaters that look like they had been used for beating camels for $55 - why can't I sell mine for that amount?; why won't I sell them a flash hider off a complete FN-49 rifle, then through a fit, scream at me, and call me an unamerican because I won't part out my $500 rifle to sell him $25 flashhider?

Frankly, what I have seen over the past three months, I can see why some of the dealers are becoming callous - they need to be wearing flack jackets!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

LIKTOSHOOT
    (1/28/02 9:36:03 pm)
    Shooter22, good for you buddy. I hope I`m with you the next time, I`ll sit in your lap for double foot pounds per square inch applied to feet grounded R square divided by rut depth. JERKS! I have accidently stepped on someones foot and then accidently bump them at the same time too, accidents happen.....opps sorry

shooter22
    (1/28/02 10:31:36 pm)
    You'd think some peoples brains is in their feet., when actually it is really half way to the top.

218Bee
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/29/02 2:27:29 am)
    Flarda-hunter,I don`t know what part of this state you live in,but I hate the term "Floridian" we surely did not come up with that name for ourselves.

Most of the people in Flarda are from up north,particularely urban northeast..so to be fair to us real Flarda folk,the rude ones are 9 out of 10 not from here,regardless of where they live,or what their license tag says.

They come down here,buy a condo,and a Flarda tag,act like jackasses,travel back up the south towards their summer home,up north,sportin` a Flarda tag,still actin like jackasses,..and the folks in Ga.Tenn,S.C. and wherever, notice the guy with the Flarda tag sure was a jackass.Flarda people have gotten a bad rap for this.Ya just have to listen to them..the rude ones don`t pronounce their 'R's

This is the way it is..The good northerners stay up north,usually in the country,and we never get to meet them,because they have a good life ,and have no reason to come down here.The rude ones are missrable city people,who come down here and spread their misserary.It is fact..I know it from my painting bussiness,to the gun shows I work almost every weekend,and every thing else I do,like drive and shop for groceries,and listen to the S.O.Bs complain about sirvice..here in Flarda.

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/29/02 2:44:40 pm)
    Warning Signs See Below)*
    * Pressure or pain in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes."Dropped new gun on floor")
    * Pain that spreads to the shoulders, neck, or arms.
    (Scratches Guns Stock for "real" color of wood)
    * Chest discomfort with sweating, nausea, or shortness of breath. (Makes remarks like, "Thats not a 243 it a damn 22 rifle!)

UNCOMMON WARNING SIGNS:
    * Nausea, dizziness, or shortness of breath without chest pain. (Spills their drink on your NEW 45 1911)
    * Unexplained anxiety, weakness, or fatigue. (Finally agrees to a trade --- and says, "be right back my wife is out in the car.")
    * Palpitations, cold sweat, or paleness.(The gun he hands to you for pricing is LOADED!)

Charlie D

* Acquired Symptoms resulting from Buyer Behavior Onslaughts at "Gun Shows"!
    My Heart, my heart!!!

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/29/02 4:13:51 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    218, I believe your right. That does make sense, especially the flarda part.The small town that I live in is called Lutz and is pronounced with the "U" as in Luke. All them yankees pronounce it with the "U" sounding like the U in klutz.

I called Century which is located in Fl. today to order a P-38 and the lady asked where is Lutz(as in klutz). I told her it's pronounced Lutz(as in Luke) and only northerners pronounce it the other way. She says "Well you busted me, I'm orginally from up north". We both had a good laugh(I hope she puts in a good word on the new toy). Ya'know ya gotta try.

You have no choice but to be nice in situation's like that, just like the other no-nos of life. Always be nice at the drive-tru and towards your waitor/waitress.

218Bee
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/29/02 6:25:13 pm)
    Hey FL,I`ll have to look up Lutz,maybe I`ll find it,but the Flarda page of my atlas is a rag,worn from use,traveling to shows throughout central Flarda..I`m in Naples(S.W.FL.)

You have to admit,it does look like Klutz,without the K.

I`m actually from Chokoloskee..you ought`ta hear them say that one.

You`re right , you have to give people a chance..be civil to them.

Hey,by the way..I`ll be at the Lakeland show,with Century Arms Of Naples this coming weekend..20 tables or so,under the red banner..be nice to meet ya!

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/29/02 8:03:53 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Lutz is just north of Tampa. Actually Tampa has now grown into Lutz. There's not much country out this way anymore.

Your dealing with Century??? They knock $30 off the price of their P-38's for the month of Jan. and I broke down today and bought one. Are they as good as they claim? With lots of Nazi markings?

HerbyJr
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/29/02 10:13:20 pm)
    Gunshows good...pawnshops bad. At least thats the way it tends to be around here. Most of the pawnshops around here want pert'near full price new on guns. You can always find a good deal at a gunshow from an individual.

Shooter22, I am sorry about the whole incident described above. Next time I will get out of your way. My foot is almost healed though. I am out of traction and I got the cast off last week.

H.
    I'm more confused than I look.

218Bee
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/30/02 1:58:21 am)
    Fl:

That`s a different Century alltogether..this is just a shop I deal with,and I work with them on their away shows,hope ta see ya in Lakeland,this weekend.

Did I mention the accidental discharge at the Palmetto show,last weekend?..that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.