The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just went to Academy at lunch time. There was a Billy badarse at the ammo talking about how he's so ready for self-defense. He stated that he had a Mossberg 590 loaded with the safety off and all he had to do was shuck-shuck and he's 'ready to roll'. Now, I've never been in a self-defense situation using a firearm and I hope I never have to be, but I do have a little bit of logical reasoning ability. I wondered silently to myself if that idiot realized how much can go wrong chambering a round versus just flicking off a safety. We let these people buy firearms. I guess he's watched enough movies that the racking sound is obligatory if you own a pump shotgun. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Personally, most of mine (including various single shot shotguns scattered around) have one in the chamber ready to go. Flick the Safety off, or pull the hammer back. I abide by the KISS principle.

I live by myself and do not have to worry about kids or others handling my firearms.

My main dilemma would be deciding on which piece I would grab, while Buddy keeps you occupied.

I do not consider myself a Billy Badarse, just an individual who is prepared to repel boarders.

Get Off My Lawn.

·
Premium Member
11,217 Posts
Ain’t that the truth. If there is a BG in my house the last thing I want him to know is I’m awake, I know he’s there and I’m armed. I’d rather make the introductions once I’ve located his exact position in my home. As you know, we who live in the country could wait a good 30 minutes before help we’re to arrive and have to be prepared to take care of ourselves

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The thing that struck me most about it was that he was concerned about safety by not having one in the chamber, but he left the safety off. The safety is perfectly safe. It's kind of in the name. It's also a ton easier than chambering a round when you're stressed. I guess he wanted to sound like an action hero when he racked the round in the chamber. Maybe he'll scare the bad guy off with his girly screams before he even reaches his Mossberg.

·
Premium Member
20,751 Posts
I have had to use a gun 2 or 3 times in self-defense. All I needed was to show the gun and it was over. No shots were fired. The 1st time was with a shotgun. A guy was going around telling people he was going to shoot me. I had my cheap single-shot shotgun in the back seat of my car. I ran into him and put the shotgun in his face. I did have the safety on. This was back in 1976. Never had a problem with this guy again.

Mossberg has the best safety on a shotgun. Right in front of your eyes and right by your thumb. Very easy to use and easy to deploy. My SD Benelli Nova has the bar safety. Nowhere near as good.

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
L
A friend of mine who is a cop has mentioned more than once that the "racking" of a pump shotgun is about the scariest thing he has ever heard while on duty.
Tornado sirens do it for me, but I've never been in a tornado. I think it was that Twister movie that did it. 🤣

·
Premium Member
11,217 Posts
My HD shotgun is a Winchester 1897 true Riot Gun. Holds 6 rounds including the one chambered. I rest the hammer so all I have to do is thumb it back and I’m ready to rock and roll. I’ve only had to draw a gun in self defense once and having never served in the military I really didn’t know how I would react. We can all talk tough or think we know how we’ll react but you never know for sure until you’re out in that situation. Well my story is there were three hombres from a Los Angeles gang that thought it would be a good idea to burglarize my suburban neighborhood. So I’m at home working and see these criminals poking around in my back yard trying to get in the house. Grabbed a handgun and exited a different door. Walked around and made a face to face introduction which elicited the response “holy S**T he’s got a gun!” They scattered like the cockroaches they were, scrambling over fences in all directions. That is with the exception of my direction….thankfully. What struck me as kind of odd was that my pulse and respiration stayed absolutely calm. Wasn’t until maybe 3-4 minutes after it all that the adrenaline rush kicked in. I’m VERY glad they chose to run for the hills as I have no desire to hurt/kill anyone but it’s good to know that should I be put in that situation again I know I’ll do what’s necessary without hesitation.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
The racking of a pump shotgun, or should I say, the desire to do so, in a compromised situation such as is described here, comes down to what you're hoping the end result will be. Are you hoping to frighten the bad guys away? You may very well simply be inviting a gun battle with them, after letting them know your location... I hope wife and kids aren't in the areas of overpenetration.

Thank God we're in Texas.. If they breach that door, no warnings are necessary.

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The last time I injected myself into a conversation at Academy was also because of somebody who had likely been watching too much TV. A young guy was looking at Glocks and that's all he wanted to see. The guy behind the counter is a student at my college alma mater and I've talked with him before. He seems to know some stuff. He was trying to present the guy with options. Sig, Springfields, Rugers, etc... I was tired of waiting on him and wanted to see a shotgun, so I thought I'd help. I finally walked up and said, "why do you want a Glock?" He said, "why, you don't like them?" I said, "not really, the triggers suck compared to any of the other ones here and the Glocks are more expensive." He responded, "so, you don't like any Glocks?" I said, "well, they're all almost identical, so I guess I don't like any of them." I probably don't watch enough rap videos to understand the allure. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
20,751 Posts
What struck me as kind of odd was that my pulse and respiration stayed absolutely calm. Wasn’t until maybe 3-4 minutes after it all that the adrenaline rush kicked in.
Some people are like that. I am the same way. When an emergency comes up I do what is needed to end the problem. Some people fall apart and freeze.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Those Glocks "Go off by themselves." That would be perfect for someone that would fall apart and freeze. 🤔😉😂

Bought my 1st and so far only Glock (a Police trade in with good night sights for $350) specifically because it will share mags with my .40 cal Sub2K. It resides in a small black MEI ballistic cloth backpack (1800-2200 cu/in.) with 4 SMG 31 round mags to bump up the stock 10 round S2K and the Glock 17 round mags, in whichever vehicle I am in.

My Get Home bag, (with a few other essentials.) I am only about 7-9 miles from work to home now, and I can be in the woods for most of that.

Reactions: Virginia Patriot

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts
Back in my working days, I had to go on military bases to build up a test weapon. I was at North Island in CA during the winter and at that time of year, there is a lot of thisk fog. To get from gate to buildings, there are painted lines on the ground so you just follow the correct color to get to where you need to go. I was following my color and I heard some guys talking about moving a weapon out and then I heard the rack of a shotgun. That sound will certainly get your attention

1 - 20 of 101 Posts