The Firearms Forum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
If leaving a spring under tension would cause it to fail, my 86 Chevy, which has had its suspension springs under tension for 35 years, would be sitting on the frame because the springs would have failed. But they haven't.
There are springs and there are springs. The alloys used to make your car's springs do not equal the alloy(s) used to make shotgun striker springs, which do not equal the alloy(s) used to make your pistol's magazine springs, and YOU ARE GLAD OF THAT. The three examples are similar ONLY in that they store/dissipate energy on demand. BEYOND that, they are no more similar than an eggplant is to broccoli is to carrots.
Alloys enabling springs to be compressed then released immediately tend not to stay under heavy loads for long periods of time (years) without "taking a set". Alloys used in springs meant to remain compressed then released without "taking a set" tend to be more brittle and will eventually fail if tasked often enough. The two characteristics tend to be conflicting, and these attributes may be complimented or attenuated by the geometry of the springs. Gun makers must make compromises when determining spring characteristics, and this is one of those situations.
I know of firearms which have sat with "cocked" springs for five years, worked when needed, then continued to work well past the life of their original owners. I know of one firearm (n.i.b.) which sat with no load on its hammer spring for years and broke or became non-functional before the first box of ammo went through it. These are extreme cases, but more common than some might believe.
DO play the odds cautiously, and DO NOT leave hammerless shotguns cocked if there's a way not to.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's a good thing your bad guys give warnings where they are in advance. That's the kind I want in my neighborhood if I have to have bad guys. The courteous type... ;)
Why you gotta be like that, man? What works for me may not work for you, and I'm okay with that. You should be too. If I'd had to rack that pumpgun in the house at night, then I'd have already acquired my target and taken aim. I'm not gonna just let somebody do harm to my family or me, but I'm also not in a hurry to kill somebody either - racking that round says GTFO or else. Along with that, the LAST thing I want is to get trigger-happy and kill my own son sneaking in late at night.

Flash forward to today, and we have a couple of dogs who like to say hi to people - over, and over, and over....

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Why you gotta be like that, man? What works for me may not work for you, and I'm okay with that.
I don't think it will work for you either. Most normal people aren't going to make a decision to take a life lightly. That means they'll wait until the very last split second to act. What's the last act?... I'd prefer to be as prepared as possible. Mechanical failure isn't unique to any of us or our firearms. Murphy's law will always be there. Don't invite Murphy in the door.

That's just my opinion. As I said earlier though, this isn't meant to be a very serious post. Of course I'm being a little facetious in a post that contains the word "Rambo" in the title. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just went to Academy at lunch time. There was a Billy badarse at the ammo talking about how he's so ready for self-defense. He stated that he had a Mossberg 590 loaded with the safety off and all he had to do was shuck-shuck and he's 'ready to roll'. Now, I've never been in a self-defense situation using a firearm and I hope I never have to be, but I do have a little bit of logical reasoning ability. I wondered silently to myself if that idiot realized how much can go wrong chambering a round versus just flicking off a safety. We let these people buy firearms. I guess he's watched enough movies that the racking sound is obligatory if you own a pump shotgun. :rolleyes:
This is precisely why I don't hang out in gun stores. I just buy my stuff and go.

·
Premium Member
20,662 Posts
I don't see a lot of this around here. We also never saw much of the guys that let their pants hang down by their knees.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I don't see a lot of this around here. We also never saw much of the guys that let their pants hang down by their knees.
How do they run real fast if trouble comes their way with their pants falling down? I wonder if anthropologists in the future will ever debate the origins of this strange custom. I sure don't know.

·
Premium Member
20,662 Posts
The funniest thing I see is the fake rich. Seems like the trend here. A lot of people around here drive cars they can't afford. BMW, Cadillacs, Big SUVs, and Lincolns. Knockoff Rolex watches. They want everyone to have the impression they are wealthy. It's always been that way around here. Bunch of phonies. Don't see any gun store Rambos.

Reactions: mrhonda

·
Registered
97 Posts
I rack shotgun. BG in my house says wtf are you going to do with that.... I live in Flint Michigan. No rack. AR with 30 rounds and it's 5 brother magazines are close at hand. No girlfriend but my g2c sleeps with me every night and doesn't give me lip. Ruger lcp likes to take showers with me. G2c also wakes up early and goes to work with me. Always have a firearm within reach.

Shotgun and ak in standby in my safe. I know what I'm going to do and I'll do it it quiet and quickly then sit down to eat a sandwich with no qualms. They come in... Well, how they want it is how they get... it so to speak.

·
Registered
371 Posts
How do they run real fast if trouble comes their way with their pants falling down? I wonder if anthropologists in the future will ever debate the origins of this strange custom. I sure don't know.
FD/EMS answer.
They fall flat on their face.
That's why some have the gold teeth/grill
Hardest part of those type calls [injured while escaping] was not bursting out LMAO. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jail/prison takes your belt away. AND
"Sagging" - having your butt showing - is jail code for " I like man sex in jail "

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
I just went to Academy at lunch time. There was a Billy badarse at the ammo talking about how he's so ready for self-defense. He stated that he had a Mossberg 590 loaded with the safety off and all he had to do was shuck-shuck and he's 'ready to roll'. Now, I've never been in a self-defense situation using a firearm and I hope I never have to be, but I do have a little bit of logical reasoning ability. I wondered silently to myself if that idiot realized how much can go wrong chambering a round versus just flicking off a safety. We let these people buy firearms. I guess he's watched enough movies that the racking sound is obligatory if you own a pump shotgun. :rolleyes:
He probably has a drill to follow, stuff he learned from "Buckshot" Biden. Just the sound of a 12 gauge pump racking a round into the chamber will make the bad guys lose sphincter control and beat feet. Two blasts off the rear deck seals the deal. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most of us either don’t go around bragging about how good we could be in a gun battle but some of us have been in a fight and it is hard to shoot when you’re shaking especially the first time and second and so on but you wake up out of the trance and your home NO ONE is prepared shooting someone especially when they’re shooting back

·
Registered
24 Posts
My first armed confrontation occurred very early in my career. Myself and another deputy were ambushed inside of a residence by a guy with a shotgun. He was on speed and alcohol. The room was full of adults and small children.

Instead of shooting him, we tackled him, disarmed him and fought him into cuffs.

We received medals for valor, and a private verbal reprimand. That doesn't happen too often, but was deserved. Bottom line is, you can talk all day long about what you'll do in a life or death situation, but until you're in it, you don't know for certain how you'll react. That is why mindset is so important.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
My first armed confrontation occurred very early in my career. Myself and another deputy were ambushed inside of a residence by a guy with a shotgun. He was on speed and alcohol. The room was full of adults and small children.

Instead of shooting him, we tackled him, disarmed him and fought him into cuffs.

We received medals for valor, and a private verbal reprimand. That doesn't happen too often, but was deserved. Bottom line is, you can talk all day long about what you'll do in a life or death situation, but until you're in it, you don't know for certain how you'll react. That is why mindset is so important.
That is why I wanted all my concealed carry training to come from leo's. They know the law, the way it is handled in their area and they know what is out there and what you may come up against. It is up to the individual to not fill his head with all the Rambo/tactical talk out there. It can cause the wrong mindset.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Me thinks if the sound of a pump shotgun racking one into the chamber were such a good crime deterrent it would be utilized by all the alarm companies as the first sound heard by an intruder.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is why I wanted all my concealed carry training to come from leo's. They know the law, the way it is handled in their area and they know what is out there and what you may come up against. It is up to the individual to not fill his head with all the Rambo/tactical talk out there. It can cause the wrong mindset.
Interesting side note to the incident I described:
The guy we arrested was later indicted for Felonious Assault and Intimidation of a Law Enforcement Officer (both are felonies). The chucklehead took it to a jury, claiming that we were lying about the facts of the case.

After two days of testimony, the defendant demanded to testify, against his lawyers advice. He made a fool of himself. Just after closing arguments, his attorney convinced him to enter a plea of guilty to Intimidation as long as the prosecution dropped the felonious assault charge. His attorney (a well known criminal defense lawyer out of Cleveland) must've been pretty persuasive, because he took the deal.

The prosecutor polled the jury afterward, and learned that they were inclined to acquit the accused. Their reasoning, almost to a person, was, "Well, he didn't shoot the deputies, and, the deputies didn't shoot him, so they couldn't have been all that intimidated!"

Lesson learned.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Agreed however a bit of a sociopathic mindset is necessary. If I know you it's hard to shoot you if I don't know you it becomes a whole lot easier.

An example of this would be a 14-year-old child soldier carrying an AK-47 coming towards you in Kabul. If you can light him up with no qualms afterwards you're on the right path.

Tragic yes but bottom line is are you going to wait until somebody dies while you make that split second moral dilemma game in your head? You know what the outcome's going to be so might as well make it happen before your buddies get killed over your indecisiveness.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Agreed however a bit of a sociopathic mindset is necessary. If I know you it's hard to shoot you if I don't know you it becomes a whole lot easier.

An example of this would be a 14-year-old child soldier carrying an AK-47 coming towards you in Kabul. If you can light him up with no qualms afterwards you're on the right path.

Tragic yes but bottom line is are you going to wait until somebody dies while you make that split second moral dilemma game in your head? You know what the outcome's going to be so might as well make it happen before your buddies get killed over your indecisiveness.
Understood. I've always ascribed to the notion that, "you gotta be there" Would I have reacted the same way one week later? Don't know for certain, but probably not based upon life experience.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts