The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm old school and mostly use an old 5" bench vise with a set of magnetic nylon jaw pads along with other padding materials as needed.
I like it because it was cheap (found it lying on the floor in the corner of the basement), sturdy, and handy.
For those rarer times I need to do something like mount a scope, I just plunk the Caldwell lead sled shooting rest on the bench. The tray for the weight bag is handy to hold tools, parts & pieces, and hardware.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I use the Tipton Best gun vise, I have had several over the years I like this one the best. It has multiple adjustments and it has several different attachment available for different guns. I also have a 4" Wilton vise that I have magnetic plastic jaw covers for and a piece of leather for as well. I dont have a pic of the Tipton.
vice1.jpg

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just use a std 5" bench vise and various size wood blocks for jaw softeners. Mounted on the corner of the bench with the corner radius cut sos I can ajust to whatever angle I want without the vise handle hitting the bench. Seems like every type action needs something a little differant.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
I like the Tipton vises, very versatile.

Larry

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
13,787 Posts
I don't have any firearms that have any vices though I do. I enjoy a pipe. For a gun vise I have two mounted on my bench and one old Midway vise for cleaning and the like. Of the two mounted one is the typical mechanics vise and is 4 inches. The other is a woodworkers vise I glued two layers of heavy harness leather to both jaws.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
I've got two 5" Craftsman vices and a woodworker's vice in my reloading shed and a 6" wilton and another 5" Craftsman vice on my garage workbenches. I have to order some of those magnetic plastic jaws for them. Right now I have 1/4" thick rubber pads glued to the jaws on the ones in the reloading shed.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I don't have any firearms that have any vices though I do. I enjoy a pipe. For a gun vise I have two mounted on my bench and one old Midway vise for cleaning and the like. Of the two mounted one is the typical mechanics vise and is 4 inches. The other is a woodworkers vise I glued two layers of heavy harness leather to both jaws.
My firearms have a vice. It’s an ammo addiction, and with the ammo shortages, their going through withdrawals. It’s sad to see them suffer as such.

·
Premium Member
19,053 Posts
Like the vise but those sr primers back there on the shelf look tasty.
That's a old pic. Lucky since that pic was taken and before the plague hit i was able to more than triple that amount. Can't even fit them all in there now. Pretty well covered on LP, SR, and LR. But always on the lookout for them in today's world.

·
Premium Member
13,787 Posts
My firearms have a vice. It’s an ammo addiction, and with the ammo shortages, their going through withdrawals. It’s sad to see them suffer as such.
Isn't that just their appetite? Doesn't matter, they're still goin' hungry!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts