The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted these pix on a forum. Illustrates what coins were circulating when some iconic guns were current.
Hope you like 'em.

The coin is a Spanish 8 Real. Struck in Mexico and it was legal tender in the US until 1857.

Design on first US dollar.

Another $5 gold piece with a Colt Paterson.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,155 Posts
What a delightful thing to wake to; such displays make the coffee even more enjoyable! So does Bailey's Irish Cream, but it's not that kind of day...

Reactions: ms6852 and joe45c

·
Premium Member
19,053 Posts
COOL pyrit! are any of those coins or guns yours? I have a couple Barber nickels but not that date and of course i have a winchester "94 and a Marlin "94.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
COOL pyrit! are any of those coins or guns yours? I have a couple Barber nickels but not that date and of course i have a winchester "94 and a Marlin "94.
Some of the coins are still in my collection. I have sold a few. Actually, replaced.
None of the guns. Although I have a couple Colt 1911s but not that early.
.........snif. :cry:

·
GUNZILLA
7,228 Posts
1873. Need I say more?
Always, never assume that everyone in this forum knows everything or have the same level of experience as you do. We have several million new shooters buying guns for the first time and they peruse forums like this in order to learn...we all start some where and we need to pass on our knowledge and experiences.

Great thread by the way, I really enjoyed it.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
220 Posts
GREAT thread. I like to metal detect and seeing those coins made me think of my coin collection and what guns would be around then. What would you put with a 1623 1/2 penny (?) and a 1705 English penny?

Reactions: ms6852 and joe45c

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks Pyrite

·
GUNZILLA
7,228 Posts
I keep a whole bunch of pennies that are dated from 1982 or earlier. These pennies were made of copper and the later years copper coated zinc. My grandfather used pennies to remove rust from his Old Tom shotgun. He would use a little oil and a penny on the beginnings of a rust spot and it would not remove the bluing but would remove the light rust.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Very nice. And a few real classics 1873, 1894 and of course the JMB 1911.

How appropriate the 1911 and the Lincoln head penny.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts