Gunshop Visit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TranterUK, Apr 15, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Went to buy ammo this morning.

Time taken explaining the calibre's and quantities I need, 3 minutes (Including putting them on the counter). Time chatting about guns, shooting, hunting, injustices and why I really need a new scope and how good are the Nikkos, cause they are cheap etc. c.90 minutes.

I think if anyone can manage a quick visit to a gunshop, it's the wrong gunshop. :)

Oh, and if Pistols reading this sometime, saw a nice big game S/S rifle for £30,000.00, just your cup of tea.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
  2. ARB

ARB New Member

I agree. When I tell my wife that I'm off to the gun shop she knows not to expect me home anytime soon. The smaller the shop the longer I'm there it seems.

3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I understand, my wife asked me to pick up some milk while out, but specified on the way back! Didn't want it sitting in the car two hours...

4. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

it has been over a year since I spent anytime in a real gun shop. I miss them long visits and the weak coffee OK the Visits anyway :)

5. ARB

ARB New Member

Yep, Up till now the closest one to speak was 45 minutes away. Now a couple of marines opened one up 5 minutes away. They don't have much on the shelf as of yet but they aren't like some gunshop owners who think that everyone that walks in the door is a moron. They even have a dog that greets you at the door. That's what I'm talkin' about!

6. ARB

ARB New Member

Sorry, one is/was a S.E.A.L.

7. islenos

islenos Active Member

Jarhead and a Squid open a bar...errrrrr gun shop...........Well it still sounds like the beginning of a joke......

8. I agree completely, Tranter. When I visit a gunshop, it's never a short visit, even if all I went in for was some Hoppes #9. ;) My wife categorically refuses to go with me to one because she knows she'll end up being there for at least two hours. :D

Was the rifle an H&H Tranter? What caliber? A mere £30,000.00 seems pretty low for an H&H unless it was very well used, or one of their lower end models.

9. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

I was in a small gun shop a couple of weeks ago to pick up a purchase and the place was packed. I think that I was the only one buying at the moment. Very friendly place and eager to help without being pushy. Name of the place is Gunslingers in the tri-city TN area if you get a chance to drop by.

I am having difficulty of conceiving a $45k, give or take, gun on a shelf in a gun shop. Wow.

10. The H&H double rifles are enormously expensive, olmoss. Their Royal Deluxe models run in the $200,000 category. They're absolutely gorgeous weapons though.

11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Every time I tell my wife that I am going over to my local gun shop (about 6 miles away), all she says is "Please, don't buy a gun today." I do as she says, I tell him to hold it until tomorrow!!

12. Isn't it amazing how often the purchase of a brick of .22s ends up turning into a new handgun or rifle? :D;)

13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Ain't that the truth!!:eek: I bought 3 brick last night at Wally World, it is a good thing that they don't sell guns anymore.:)

14. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I haven't bought a .22 in 25 years, but know what you mean. This mornings visit almost included a new scope as well as the 7.62x51s :rolleyes:

Actually interesting. The scope on the gun in mind is just a red dot. I dislike the sight depending on a battery. Flat battery, cant aim. I have concluded while illuminated scopes can be useful, it should be one that includes a fixed reticle that can be used without the dot.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
  15. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

Tranter-
    Know what you mean about the red-dots. Hate to have a nice deer(much less my life!!) dependant on a cheap battery. Then I found Trijicon...their reflex sights are awesome. Have one on my Winchester 1300 slug gun & love it. Always on, no battery, and love the yellow triangle as an aimpoint! A little pricey, though. Sight cost way more than the shotgun its on!

Chris