The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law has an H&A 1901 .38 short and he has asked us to try and figure out how much it is worth. He took it to a gun smith and was told it was a rare gun but in perfect working order. The only info on the gun is the H & A and the serial number A7618. Can anyone please give me some more info on it and a possible value?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

Your description is too brief to confirm what you have without a photo. It may be a Hopkins & Allen "Forehand Model 1901" but that should be marked on the barrel rib. If so, they are not particularly rare, and are guns H&A made using left over Forehand parts after they bought assets of the Forehand Arms Co. The H&A company in turn folded in 1915.

Both companies made economy priced guns that don't have much collector interest today. Regardless of condition, I'd consider it unsafe with current ammo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I had a picture. He says there is not any thing about Forehand on the piece. The only things written on it is H&A grip and the serial number.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Only with a clear picture of the overall firearm can some of the confusion be adverted. If it truly is from the 1901 era it is a black powder and deserves a place on the wall. Most of these 38 caliber firearms of the time were chambered for the black powder S&W 38 cartridge ( there were no short or long .38 S&W cartridge, they were all .38 S&W ). While the pressure of the smokeless .38 S&W is the same as the old, the way the pressure is generated is sharper, It may not blow up the revolver ( Maybe ), but it will very quickly " shoot it loose " so to speak, and all you will have is a hand full of parts. As for my self, I would only shoot it , if it was tied to an old tire and with a 30 string.:) I really like all of my fingers being in their proper place on my body:D JMO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apparently the gun has 1901 near the H&A on the grip. I am going try for a picture since he has come into town today. We were told it doesn't shoot black powder rounds. Thanks for your help. Hopefully I can get some pictures to clear up the confusion. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts