The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Hmm.. what parts is it missing?

The finish is mostly gone and it does look to have the metal somewhat pitted, but that may just be the light from the photograph. Can you take a couple more pics of the whole pistol also? We'll need to see that to know what model it is. The barrel is probably only chambered for .22 Short. The serial number can be looked up in some of the books that other guys have in this forum once we can determine what model it is. Just the Young America model had 1.5 million pistols made. There were many other models also and serial numbers may have been reused for different models.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Hi phoinex,

Out of curiosity, do you have the grips for the pistol?

It looks to me like this should be the H&R Young America which were manufactured from 1884 - 1941. Since 1.5 million were made only the book will tell us when this one was made and this IS crucial since the early ones were made for black powder and could definitely NOT safely fire a today's .22 cartridge.

At the 311,000+ serial number You 'should' be into the smokeless powder era. We'll need confirmation from one of the guys here who have the books.

Looks to me like this is chambered for .22 short. You could go to a gun shop or ask a friend who has a .22 long cartridge and see if when inserted it extrudes past the cylinder. The pistol will MOST DEFINITELY NOT fire .22 long rifle cartridges. Finding .22 shorts may not be easy.

First, you restore it, clean it well. I suggest you do not take out the spring in the grip, it's a bit of a pain to get back in and you don't want to add extra stresses to it. These are old parts. When you do have it put together you have to dry fire it with no rounds. You need to check that the cylinder lines up with the bore for the complete revolution of the cylinder. This is 'checking the timing'.

These are all certainly wonderful little pistols and have an interesting history behind them. I have my little .32 S&W hammerless US Revolver Co. pistol in my collection and it shoots fine.

These are double action only pistols. You won't be able to cock the hammer back then squeeze the trigger. At anything over 5 yards the accuracy will generally suck raw eggs.

If you have more questions, let me know. I will send some personal messages to guys here I communicate with and help them get you the info you need. I can also help you with where to find parts.

If you don't have the grips and there is something else wrong that needs a part, the value of the pistol is very little. I paid 38$ for my .32 top break last year with nice patina to the metal and fully functional.

With no grips, and not working you can put it up for auction as 'parts not working' and you might get 50$ for it.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Hi phoinex,

It looks to me like this should be the H&R Young America which were manufactured from 1884 - 1941. Since 1.5 million were made only the book will tell us when this one was made and this IS crucial since the early ones were made for black powder and could definitely NOT safely fire a today's .22 cartridge.
------------------------------------------------------------
These are double action only pistols. You won't be able to cock the hammer back then squeeze the trigger. At anything over 5 yards the accuracy will generally suck raw eggs.
WHSmithIV, H&R's Young America model was a solid frame revolver, a smaller version of their 'American Double Action' and not a top break.

And all of H&R's older revolvers except the hammerless models were both single and double action. When they don't work single action it's usually because the sear spring is broken or missing.

It looks like a .22 version of the PREMIER model shown here, and besides a broken trigger spring it may be missing the single action sear seen sticking out behind the trigger, or maybe just pushed in out of sight because sear spring broken.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?p=887904&highlight=h&r+topbreak#post887904

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's missing the piece behind the trigger and the part that ejects the shells when I originally found it it was in pieces I put it back together and it worked fine but my dad had gotten drunk and took it apart and now it's missing those and the grip was broken I don't want to sale it just want it to fire and I'm going to pass it to my son when he's older

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Thanks hrf for the correction. I was only doing the research for it from the net.

There are some places that will have parts for it. I'm not so sure I would plan on making this much of shooter to pass down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts