The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gentleman, New to this forum so bear with me. In the early 70's my Dad bought for me a H&R 20 GA side by side shotgun. The gun had beautiful walnut stocks with lots of woodgrain and a high gloss finish, checkered forearm and buttstock, blued metal, chambered in 2 3/4" or 3". It was a hammerless gun with the break lever at the rear of the barrels on top of the receiver with the safety just behind it. It also had 2 triggers. The forearm stock had a spring loaded button at the most forward end just under the barrels. The gun was stolen in a break-in while I was serving in the Navy in the mid 80's. I am now trying to replace it as I try and remember any identifying features. I do not remember the model number of the gun and have searched many H&R sites in an effort to gather info on the possible model of the gun. I do remember that on the barrels at the front edge of the chamber there was an engraved line of some-sort at about the 3" mark, I suppose indicating the fact that it was chambered for 3" shells. I do not remember any other name on the gun other than H&R, but as a boy of 12 at the time, the name did not seem important. Thought you guys, with your infinite knowledge of anything "GUN" might be of assistance. Can you help me considering the absence of available info?

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
One double that H&R listed { In fact the only modern SXS H&R I was able to find } was the Model 400, Wood furniture, blued. 12,16 or 20 gauge. 1955 to 1967, which would still have been on the dealers shelf's in the early1970's. Hope that helps. Others?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You probably had a model 404 which is valued at only $250 in 100% condition. This would lead one to think it is easy to find, but I can't remember when I last saw one for sale.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Wonder is correct, The 404 was marketed By H&R between 1969 and 1972, but it wasn't home grown, made in Brazil by Rossi. It had double triggers and may be the one you're looking for. The reason you may not be able to find it in your searches is because it is a Rossi and may not be listed under H&R.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts