The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It appears that I am about a 1/2 year late finding this forum- I have read with sadness of the death of Jim Hauff. It was Mr Hauff's extensive fund of knowledge that I had hoped to tap when I took the pictures of this little revolver for this post.
I recently acquired this .22 H&R revolver that I initially thought was a 999 Sportsman but on inspection found that it was a SA pistol that apparently has been re finished. There are no markings on the barrel where the H&R model number would generally be and the flats have a wavy surface that appears to be from over buffing. Additionally the frame color is an odd plum that I have not seen before. The front sight has a screw in the front of the ramp (?elevation adjustment?)
The serial number is S 115xx.

It shoots very well and has a good trigger (1-1 1/2 " groups off hand at 7 yds with 5/9 rounds in 1/2"), but there seems to be a fair amount of side splatter and it produced one keyholing round out of 50 or so (Centurion hollow points {cheap cheap}).
My question is, what do I have here?(I suspect the value is not very high)

I hope that some of Mr Hauff's knowledge has been passed on to others on this forum.
Thanks,
DocAitch

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well according to the 1939 Stoeger's Catalog you have a Single Action Sportsman. Seems that there were three version of the Sportsman advertised in 1939. The Double Action, the Single Action and the Ultra Sportsman (which looking at the sketch in the catalog might also have been a Single Action). Cost right at $23.85 in 1939 dollars. Congrats on you find.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
A gunsmith who used to post to this forum explained that the plum color can also result from the type of steel used in the frame, and was the correct, original color for some guns. The gun in question at the time might have been an old H&R like this. His user name was Stone Chimney.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a S&W 22 revolver which has a plum color which is more subdued than this and which I think is normal, but this looks almost bronze.
Thanks for the info. I will enjoy this revolver and keep my eye out for other models.
DocAitch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently acquired a H&R 922 .22 cal 9 shot revolver. I don't know if I am doing this right but I would like to find out how old it is. The serial number is AN 7205 stamped on the bottom of the handle, it is a double action with plastic grips. It has H&R INC GARDNER, MASS. USA on the left side below the cylinder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts