The Firearms Forum banner

H & R .22 Revolvers

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Old Gun Guy 
#1 ·
I have a small collection of .22 handguns and have recently become interested in the H&R line of revolvers. I have located 2 Sportsman 999 revolvers locally for sale in the $300 range, both in excellent condition. One was manufactured in 1982 and the other in 1968. Was there any differenced in manufacturing quality in the two years listed or any reason to choose one over the other. I am also looking at a 949 western style,also in very good shape that is priced in the $200 range. Any help for a newcomer to H&R would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Shelby Chastain

#2 ·
Shelby,
As a collector or H&R Firearms, I currently own a couple dozen Sportsman revolvers covering the entire production span from circa 1931-32, up through the 1990s and I have owned about 20 others, besides having had the opportunity to examine dozens of other pieces first hand - this said to provide some degree of confidence in my assessment.
All the above being said - it is my considered OPINION, that as the manufacture of H&R Sportsman models progressed through the post WW2 era, the finishing touches, both externally as well as internally, show a subtle but progressive decline. The polishing becomes less fine and the lockwork becomes less refined; fit of parts and grips doen't seem to be quite as good. This is a generalized statement. Again, my OPINION is that as production dates get closer to the end of production in 1986, there is a noticeable decline. The finest fit and finish (mirror like polishing and smooth as silk lock work) belongs to the pre-WW2 era guns. Ironically, today's market values favor the more recently produced pieces. I am not saying that 1960s, '70s or later Sportsman revolvers are not good shooters or "investments" - I'm saying that they don't seem to me to be AS GOOD as earlier ones. Lots of words, early in the morning here, not enough coffee perhaps - I hope this helps. Any other questions? Please ask!

#5 ·
shelby1941,
Jim is absolutely correct in stating that the prewar 999s are better built than the later models are. I always liked the one-piece walnut grip from that period, but even that gave way to a plastic lookalike grip, not to mention the plastic heads on the mainspring guides, among other examples.
Just my 2 cents worth!
Old Gun Guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.