The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a H&R 22 Special that I would like to have inspected/repaired. I have spoken to two gunsmiths about it and both say it is not worth the cost to repair. I disagree as the revolver has been in my family for three generations and it looks to be in very good condition. Based upon the serial number it appears to have been manufactured approximately 1930. What I am concerned about is the alignment/registration of the cylinder with the bore of the gun when the the gun is fired. There appears to be some wear/damage on the gear/ rosette on the cylinder extractor. When I cycle the trigger the alignment looks good on eight of the nine cylinders but appears a little off on one of the cylinders. Hopefully you can see the apparent rosette damage in the pictures. I am hoping that someone can point me to a gunsmith that is experienced with these vintage Break-Open revolvers and can discuss what can be done. With today's metalworking technology I think the rosette could be reshaped, welded, or even a new extractor machined. I am also interested in the approximate value of the gun, now and after being repaired.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
After three generations, I would have to say priceless. Cash value in my neck of the woods, about $200-$250.
The hand and the star have just enough damage to cause a problem, and one is working on the other to cause more. It's fixable. Contact "goofy" here on the forum, I think he's getting another from here to work on too.
@goofy

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
Yes it can be fixed.
BUT
Like I said in another thread parts for these early H&Rs are hard to get. I may have to fix what you have. And that can be real fun.:rolleyes:
If you need me just PM me.
@TRAP55 THANKS again for referring me.
Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts