The Firearms Forum banner

H & R .32 Hamerless

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  SARGE7402 
#1 ·
Please see attached. If you could let me know just what I have here and an approximate value. The serial number is 12470.
Many Thanks,
John

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry, 376th, but it hard to put values on these old top-breaks, especially from one photo. Your gun, for instance, looks terrific - so good, in fact, that it makes me wonder if it was re-plated at some time. The fact that you have what's left of the original box argues against that, though. For another example, the way to tell if this is a late-production gun is how the grips fit the frame - in late guns, the frame is the same width all the way to the butt, and the grips just sit on top of it; in earlier guns, the frame is inset so the grips don't stick out as much. I can't tell on your photo.

Demand for these is very iffy too. There just aren't s lot of people who collect them, and I think many of the people who do, collect them because they are a lot less expensive than S&Ws and Colts.

The H&R expert here who really could have helped you was Jim Hauff, but he passed away last year. I hope someone else will be along to help you more than I can.

Otherwise, all I can tell you is that the barrel length you have is uncommon. Most of them had barrels like the gun pictured on the box top. That will help sell it somewhat.

#4 ·
It appears that the the frame is inset so that would make this piece an ealier production. Unless I am msitaken and they did a really great job of re-plating, this piece looks original and never fired or rarely fired. The trigger and guard look original with no wear and the barrel shows no signs of wear.

I am interested in selling this pistol. I live in Ct and would like to know how you go about selling these.
John

Attachments

#6 ·
hi there 376th i am by no means an authority, i have read all of mr hauffs material on here, u should too. you have a nice pistol. as stated above odd barrel, ? finish, appears 38 s&w cal. if all original, from what i have read here maybe $150 bux if you sell it privately, pawn/gun shop maybe $35 to $40 bux. you can sell it locally or use your dealer to ship it to other states. ffl to ffl.

#8 ·
hi there 376th i am by no means an authority, i have read all of mr hauffs material on here, u should too. you have a nice pistol. as stated above odd barrel, ? finish, appears 38 s&w cal. if all original, from what i have read here maybe $150 bux if you sell it privately, pawn/gun shop maybe $35 to $40 bux. you can sell it locally or use your dealer to ship it to other states. ffl to ffl.
thanks for your reply. I just checked back online and only saw your response today!
Regards, John

#9 ·
I just took a closer look at everything. It has a 2" barrel and along the sighting ridge on the barrel it simply says " H & R Arms Co, Worcester, MA" The serial number is 12470 which makes it manufacturedd between 1899 and 1904 if I read the info correctly and unless I am mistaken the pistol does not look like it has ever been fired. Does not look like it was re-chromed. It is a .32 cal S& W 5 rounder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.