The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just starting in the gunsmith areana and I just had a customer bring in a H&R .32 Top Break 6 shot, Auto Eject, to find out what he had.
the s/n 2229 was under the grip and is also under ejector on cylinder. no letter markings anywhere
Nickel
barrel length is 3 1/4
Cylinder length 1 1/4
black plastic grips, scratched inside grips 229
top of barrel reads (HARRINGTON&RICHARDSON,WORSCESTER,MASS.U.S.A.), no pat. dates anywhere, no calib. markings on barrel or anywhere on the gun. Blackpowder?
what do we have here.
Is there anywhere I can go to find a disassembly instruction. I have been trying to get the cylinder off, my gunsmith notes says it unscrews when you pull cylinder away from barrel and turn it, not working.
any suggestions, thanks

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I am not a gunsmith, pt2436, and I don't detail strip my guns, so I can't help you directly. But J. B. Woods' book "Gun Digest Books of Firearms Assembly / Disassembly: Revolvers" would probably tell you what you want to know. It is available on Amazon, both new and used, and libraries sometimes have it.

If you could post pictures of the gun, someone here could probably tell you, though. H&R made top break 32 revolvers for a long time, and the method of cylinder removal was one of the things they kept changing. Without knowing the exact model, it is not practical for someone to tell you how it is done.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Usually, if you press the barrel latch up a little farther than you need to do to release the barrel, it will pull a little tab up and out of the way. That tab is blocking the cylinder from pulling off. Some H&R's have a button on the side of the latch that you need to press in order to get the latch to go up that last little bit higher. It depends what model you have.

Once you get that tab out of the way, the cylinder will come off with a few counter clockwise rotations as you gently pull it back

btw. Wood's book is excellent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info and your time, but I have pulled up on the latch and it stops openning at the rear site, which is on front of latch. here are some pics, camera not so good. all info from gun in first post. h&r32_0061.jpg

h&r32_0058.jpg

h&r32_0059.jpg

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just went and checked out my H&R of that vintage. Here's what I can tell you: The latch lifts up about 30 degrees, and it pulls that little tab out of the way of the cylinder. The cylinder comes off by pulling back and turning it counter clockwise. The end of the shaft on which the cylinder is mounted has a few coarse threads on it. You have to rotate the cylinder counter clockwise to get the cylinder to walk itself off that shaft. If the latch is not free enough to move high enough to pull that tab out of the way, it might be jammed or rusted. You could remove that screw on the side, and the whole latch will come out.
I have seen guns were someone had gunsmithed a pin into the top of the frame that prevented the cylinder from coming off. But, that's not normal.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Judging from the floral-pattern grips, that is an early-production gun. I have an old American Rifleman article on that model H&R. I'll see if it covers cylinder removal.

If you rummage around here for Jim Hauff's posts, you will probably find something helpful, because he and Bill Goforth wrote the book on H&R's (literally). Unfortunately, they have both passed away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks, I have, I think, gone back through the old info on .32 H&R auto eject and have not seen any with a s/n that low 2229. the cylinder stop is like a Iver Johnson. I was sad to read that these two had passed.
again thanks for the info.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If it has the caliber on the left side of the barrel it is ok with smokeless, if it doesn't it is black powder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yesterday I replace the barrel catch spring on my H&R. First Variation; one patent date OCT-4-87 only -------------1890-1892. The cylinder was easy to remove before I replace the spring. To remove the cylinder I left up the barrel catch to open the gun, then push in the button on the left side and also lift up the barrel catch a little more, this will lift a tab and will allow the cylinder to be removed. My cylinder has no threads. When I reinstall the cylinder and close the gun, if the barrel latch is not completely in the down position I have to push the button the get the barrel latch to drop in place. If barrel latch is completely down when you close the barrel, it should snap in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, I have, I think, gone back through the old info on .32 H&R auto eject and have not seen any with a s/n that low 2229. the cylinder stop is like a Iver Johnson. I was sad to read that these two had passed.
again thanks for the info.
pt2436: I recently posted a very similar question to the .22 rimfire forum regarding an H&R .22 Special (22LR 9 shot) recently (re)discovered languishing in my grandfather's gun chest. This is structurally identical to your gun.

I was also having trouble removing the cylinder, but the solution really is as described above: lift the site/latch, apply gentle pull to the cyl., and twist slowly counter clockwise. Here's a shot of the cyl mount:

Since the H&R and IJ guns of this era are so similar, check out this Youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRMwrV0HWg4

It looks like you may have given up on this thread, but anyway: I found it helpful and it steered me in the right direction to get my pistol broken down for a cleaning.

Fritz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts