The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have inherited the following two guns and am hoping someone can verify my memories from childhood.
Both of these came from my father and as such, I do not have an interest in selling them.

H&R 922
S/N 160462
I think I remember dad telling me he bought it from the local hardware store when he was 17. He walked in, paid his money, stuck it in his pants and walked out. "Wasn't none of this waiting period or background check stuff."
That would have been 1934. Based on the S/N, that seems about right.
Any guess as to what it was new or the value now?

Ithaca Model 37
28" barrel, 2 3/4", modified choke
S/N 1849982
I think he told me he bought it when he got out of the service after WW2 and paid $70 for it. Does that sound about right?
The pictures I uploaded are pretty indicative. No cracks or deep gouges in the wood. Just normal wear. Normal light surface rust as one would expect sitting in a closet for decades.
I had other pictures but hit my limit.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,578 Posts
Welcome to TFF
I can't tell you about the 922.
The Ithaca 37 was made in 1969.I could not see the receiver so it is tough to tell what condition it is so I would guess it is worth around $200 to $300.It could be worth less or more but with out pictures of the whole gun I can't tell.They sold new in 1969 for $126.00.
Mike

·
Premium Member
9,578 Posts
Yes all 37s that have a ser.# above 855000 have interchangeable barrels.
But if the barrel did not come with the gun then it should be checked by a gunsmith for proper fitting.
The condition of your gun puts it in the $200 range.
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Thank you very much.
This is the original barrel. I plan to take it to a gunsmith and have all the gunk from sitting cleaned out and have it fully inspected, then use it occasionally and often enough to keep it in good condition to pass on to a nephew.
If I go deer or hog hunting with it, I may want to change the barrel to a slug barrel. Since it is a modified choke, I may not though. I do know dad shot rifled slugs through this barrel.

I don't plan to have either one refinished as I want to maintain the "character". lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
Check the serial # on the Ithaca again. 1968 ended with 1042000 and after that they started with 37xxxxxxx

1969 ended with # 371091500

·
Premium Member
9,578 Posts
:confused:
Check the serial # on the Ithaca again. 1968 ended with 1042000 and after that they started with 37xxxxxxx

1969 ended with # 371091500

Is this for me or the poster?
1968 is 999501-1042000.
1969 is 1042001-371091500.
His is 1849982
If his started with a 37 that would make it a 1983 and the forearm would not be a pumpkin it would be squared off and checkered.
If he got the ser.# wrong and he added a number(2) to the end then it would be 1948.If he added a number to the front(1) it would be a 1963
If the gun came with 2 barrels there would be a 1 and 2 on the bottom of the barrels but not on the receiver in line with the ser.#.
Good point because if he added the 1 then the barrels would not be interchangeable.
And if he added the 2 then it would put into WWII time.
Mike

I'm getting confused:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok, so I am an idiot. 1849982 is the PATENT number.

That said, I can't find a serial number anywhere else. Not on the receiver.
Where should it be?

·
Premium Member
9,578 Posts
The ser #is located on the bottom right side of the recevier. On the earlier models it was on the chamber end of the receiver between the magazine and the barrel.
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Quote: "Wasn't none of this waiting period or background check stuff." Unquote

That little mess came about because of THREE people: Lee Harvey Oswald, James Earl Ray, and Sirhan Sirhan.................

and for those THREE the other THREE HUNDRED MILLION get punished with silly, unenforceable laws.

Gotta love politicians!!!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,578 Posts
Quote: "Wasn't none of this waiting period or background check stuff." Unquote

That little mess came about because of THREE people: Lee Harvey Oswald, James Earl Ray, and Sirhan Sirhan.................

and for those THREE the other THREE HUNDRED MILLION get punished with silly, unenforceable laws.

Gotta love politicians!!!:rolleyes:
WHAT?????
I think you are in the wrong post.
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi all,
Thanks again. I found the S/N:

And I think Conman's post was to the bit of Americana dad said when he bought the H&R. Which, by the way, I did not know where the background checks came from. Thanks for that bit of information. Not that they mean anything.....

Can anyone verify the info on the H&R or should I start a separate thread for that one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Mike. That confirms what I remember.
Any idea what it listed for new?

Now to get it cleaned up and out of retirement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts