The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 922 serial 125814. The hammer has a piece broken off that held the hammer away from the cylinder. Of course it's missing so I don't know what it looks like to try and repair.
Do any of your references show a picture of the hammer itself. (Numrich doesn't have any in stock)
Thanks,
Bob
P9010001A.JPG P9010007A.JPG

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
IIRC the hammer strut has a U shape that engaged the back of the hammer. The way the hammer pivoted when the hammer was at rest the strut forced the hammer away.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Helix FR
I finally figured out how to add the pictures.
Does that clarify the problem?
Thanks for your info.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Nwff, I hope that helps, but I think you misunderstand how that H&R works. The head of the hammer strut (some are nylon and break frequently) causes the hammer to rebound so the sear enters the hammer safety notch. That keeps the hammer away from the cartridge heads. The part of the hammer you pointed to has no effect on the rebounding or keeping the hammer back off the cartridges.

If the hammer is not rebounding, check the hammer strut. If you order from www.gunpartscorp.com, try to get one with a metal head.

Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/att...ent.php?attachmentid=71560&stc=1&d=1357766660
Here are pictures that show the hammer positions BEFORE the piece broke off the hammer.

Present condition:
1. Uncocked - the gun can still be fired by squeezing the trigger. I set it on an empty cylinder or a fired shell if I use it in the field.
2. Half cocked - (The hammer is propped up with a piece of wire in this pic.) Now the hammer will not hold in "Half cocked" position as it used to. Before the piece broke off, the hammer would hold in this position and could be fired from this position.
3. Cocked - the gun will fire when the trigger is squeezed.

This gun was made before 1930 according to the serial 125616 and there are no nylon parts.

I bought a newer model hammer and am trying to modify it to look more like the original but so far it's not working.
Thanks for any information.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After some more research, I think the flat spring tells me it's older than the variation with the coil spring. Probably 1930 or earlier?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts