The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking its about a 1934 according to serial number 165,xxx. cant find any pics of 1 that looks like this, could anyone tell me what its made of and what its cash value is?

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Estimated year is very close, give or take a year. Im assuming your question of it being brass is aimed at the frame, due to it not being "blue"? I have a Sprinfield 5100 that wears the same purple. Ive been told a couple different things but nothing to back it up. First, that it was refinished and the bluing tank was galvanized, causing a reaction that ends as a purple finish. 2nd, that the purple happens when the hardened part is not allowed to stay in long enough for the almost black appearance. 3rd, that bluing mixture was basically used up, not allowing the dark blue to occur. I dont know, but im bettin mine has never been refinished. Personally, i like it. No idea what it does to value. And really no idea what to value yours at, last i saw, approx $150. I do know that several H&Rs have went up alot in the last few years ( 999 sportsmans especially). I am hoping to learn on all this ao i will keep an eye on what others say.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The coloration on the frame and trigger guard is caused by a refinishing attempt in any one of the most common "black oxide" baths. The material used for these parts was malleable iron which does not work with this "bluing" method.

These parts were originally finished using a cyanide soak (1300 degrees), quench and into the bluing solution at +/- 1100 degrees.

There are baths that will do a fair job on malleable and Iver johnson used one in their later years. IIRC, it was Duo Lite put out by Swift.

Sprint

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
Those revolvers have been up in value a bit recently, I have seen

the top breaks can sell for well over $300 in good condition

I would also value that at around $150-175

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the advice, but i really dont believe it's a bluing process or the barrell would be the same color, i've had a few that were blue and looked nothing like this, the fatherinlaw passed away without telling anyone the history and after countless hours searching the web, i come up with nothing, thanks again, dale

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Whether you believe it or not is irrelevant.
The fact is that the gun has been badly refinished. The cast iron frames don't blue well. The steel barrel does. There you have it.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I don't know if the H&R frames were cast or not but cast frames turn a kind of plum color without being refinished.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I have a 922 that I had reblued just because it was my fathers and I left it in a leather holster in the garage and it got really pitted. I was told the steel that the frame was made from is why it turned the red plum color. The barrel and cylinder took a matte dark finish beautifully but the frame plum crazy purple. I wonder if Joe Dirt is looking for a gun to match his Cuda.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts