Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

1. Marquedat

Marquedat New Member

I'm looking for some information on a H&R 922 which my dad just gave to me. It was 1st gun he ever purchased and while used is still in the box with the catalogue he purchased it from. Hudson Sporting Goods Company catalogue No. 37A. It's described as a H&R Large Frame for for .22 S/L/LR. He paid $7.95 for it in 1937. It has a 6" hex barrel. Grip strap S/N appears to be L61109. It has H. & R. Arms Company, Worcester, Mass.U.S.A on left side of barrel and under that in much large lettering is H. & R. 922.
    It's 9-shot with checkered grips and a brass sight. Any ideas on when it was manufactured and possible worth, but it's not for sale. Some wear on muzzle and scratches on barrel. Holster wear on cylinder, otherwise good blue.

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

H&R used the L letter code in 1951, however H&R discontinue the octagon barrel on the model 922 in 1938 are your sure the L is not a badly stamped 1.

MODEL 922 DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL
    LARGE SOLID FRAME 22 RIMFIRE CALIBER --------------------1927-1952
    9 shot cylinder capacity, pull pin cylinder release, blue finish, 6 inch octagon barrel, two piece over size walnut grips saw handle shaped, marked with company name and address on top of barrel, right side of barrel H&R 922 and caliber on left side of barrel.
    First Variation 1927-1930 serial number range 125270*-144000*(estimate)
    Second Variation 1931 DIFFERENCE: new grip shape (saw handle shape eliminated) serial number range 144000*-160000*(estimate)
    Third Variation 1932-1937 DIFFERENCE: new safety cylinder, serial number range 160000*-171000*(estimate)
    Fourth Variation 1938-1939 DIFFERENCE; new grip frame and round barrel, serial number range 171000*-192000*(estimate)
    Fifth Variation 1940- 1947 DIFFERENCE; same as 4th variation except letter code prefix to serial number A thru H
    Sixth Variation 1948-1949 DIFFERENCE; a new barrel length, serial number letter codes I and J
    Seventh Variation 1949-1952 DIFFERENCE; all-in-one cartridge extraction system, serial number letter codes J thru M
    Eight Variation 1952 models for M922 Camper and M922 Bantam weight (see post 1953 models)
    VALUE: $195 $55 add 40% premium for 1st Variation and 20% premium for 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th Variations

bill

3. Marquedat

Marquedat New Member

Thanks Mr. G.

The S/N certainly could be a badly stamped 1. It looked a little wierd to me so I guessd it was an L.

Since my dad purchased it in 1937 and the catalogue from Hudson Sporting Goods is Vol. 37A, I guess I've got myself a Third Variation.

How are things in Houston? I grew up in Weatherford, TX and moved to Michigan in 1982. I now spend the month of February in Port Aransas to get away from this darn cold.

R.W. Cronenweth

4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the weather is normal for houston hot and muggy. weatherford weather is still hot and dry. port aransas is a nice place to visit, but most of the year is has weather like houston hot and muggy. in texas no matter wht part of the ocean front you visit, sabine pass to brownsville you are going to have high humidity.
    bill

5. Grumpytrkr

Grumpytrkr New Member

I just found an H&R 929, cleaning out my father-in-law house. It is a short barrel, and it is marked "sidekick", if that means anything. Ser # is S30936. I was surprised on how heavy the frame is for a .22. Was this frame used on the .32?

And, in the bottom of a shopping bag, I found a Japanese Namub pistol, with two clips, and in the holster.

Thanks for letting me jump in.

Grumpy

6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

H&R used the S letter code in 1956 and yes the 32 caliber model 732 was built on the same frame.

MODEL 929 SIDE KICK---------------------------------1957-1973
    Solid Frame, Double Action, Swing-out cylinder, Round & Square Butt, 22 Long Rifle Caliber, 9 shot, Blue Finish, Barrel Lengths 2½, 4 & 6 inches
    VALUE: $175 $75

MODEL 929 SIDE KICK SECOND MODEL
    (TRANSFER BAR IGNITION) ------------------------------1974-1986
    Solid Frame, Double Action, Swing-out cylinder, Round & Square Butt, 22 Long Rifle Caliber, 9 shot, Blue Finish, Barrel Lengths 2½, 4 & 6 inches
    VALUE: $195 $85

the nambu pistol could prove to be very valuable, but it should be looked at by an expert in japanese military weapons.
    bill

7. Grumpytrkr

Grumpytrkr New Member

Thank-you very much for the info on the H&R pistol. At least I know what year to put down when I record all the info in my record book.

Thanks again,
    Grumpy

8. 1040 window

1040 window New Member

I have an H&R 922 SN R12694. I recently shot it using 22 shorts and long rifle cartridges. The range owner told me they used to make a 22 magnum cylinder for this pistol. Could someone tell me more about my pistol and where I might find a 22 magnum cylinder for it?

9. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

no 22 magnum cylinders were ever offered for the model 922. the contertible model came in the model 666. which is basically the same model but originally chambered for the 22 magnum cartridge with a 22 long rifle cylinder. your model 922 was manufactured in 1955. i believe i heard somewhere the 22 magnum cartridge was introduced in 1956. H&R also produced the model 642 in 22 magnum only caliber again basically the same model. no H&R should ever be fitted with a 22 magnum cylinder unless it originally came from the factory with one. there is a slight difference between the bore diameter of a 22 magnum and a 22 long rifle.

bill

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  10. psmith

psmith New Member

Mr. Goforth I have a H&R 922 with the serial number 129893 9 shot octagon barrel with the writting on the top left(looking down sights) H&Rarms Company worcester mass.usa with
    H&R 922 under that.I gathered it was built 1927-1928 according to the numbers. I am looking for a pin that holds in the cylinder. If you can tell me where to get one I would be greaatful thanks

11. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

for a cylinder pin you will just have to haunt all the on line parts suppliers and auction sites. they are out there you just have to look for them. i do not have a source of supply.

your made the correct guess as to the age of this model 922.
    bill

12. Servcman

Servcman New Member

in regards to the early models, I recently acquired a 922 that has a hexagon barrel the company name and location is on the top left flat. H&R 922 is on the lower left flat. Serial number is 11684. 2 piece saw handle type grips. Any idea is this is an earlier version than the octagon barrel or about the same time frame.