The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a 923 with an R serial number. I'm now the 3rd generation in my family to own it and hope to pass it down to my son someday. It's had countless rounds fired though it since my grandfather purchased it new. Unfortunately, the firing pin is no longer striking rounds consistently. Every 1 out of 4/5 pulls results in a fire...obviously problematic. Upon inspection I noticed the firing pin seems to have either broken off at the tip or worn down from so much use over the past ~58 years. When you push/force the hammer forward (barely any play BTW) the hammer BARELY protrudes through to the cylinder so I do not think using other brands of ammo will help. The cylinder has no play either. Have searched everywhere, and have found nothing. Anyone have any clues on where I might be able to acquire one of these? I've checked Numrich, Schluder, etc. My version has the firing pin attached to the hammer. Willing to buy a parts gun if I have to, or the necessary part from a respected private seller for the right price. While the market value of it is low, its sentimental value to me is priceless. Any help would be appreciated in finding the proper part. Pictures of it attached so you can figure out the exact model/trigger needed. PLEASE work your magic gurus! And MUCH thanks to any assistance you can provide!

Darkside

Attachments

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I'll take a look with the Model# and Date of Mfg., and see if I can find anything at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already went through Numrich. They didn't have what I needed, although they did their best to get me the right part. Unfortunately it was for a different version of the pistol. The hammer was too wide and wouldn't fit in the frame.

I also checked Bob's. If you look in the left column where the hammers are, mine is #1...the ONLY one out of stock. :( Hence the reason I am appealing to you fine gents for any and all assistance in the matter.

·
Registered
669 Posts
By looking at the picture, your hammer isn't the problem. It looks like the firing pin is still in good condition. I suspect the problem is your mainspring. They do get weak over time, and that will lead to light strikes. The hammer is a "rebounder", meaning that it retracts slightly after firing to allow the next cartridge head to advance. If you pull the trigger and push the hammer forward you will see what I mean.
Old Gun GUy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Old Gun Guy...you are in fact correct. I did just as you said and the firing pin does in fact clear when the trigger is pulled and you push the hammer forward. Thank you for that bit of knowledge! Now, another question for you if you don't mind. JUST TO BE CLEAR so I don't waste any more of anyone's time, and get the part I need....on Numrich's schematic for the weapon, you are referring to part # 26, correct? Any idea where I can get one of these? The following links are from gun-parts.com, but the only mainspring listed (#5) appears to be for a different model...my hammer is identical to #1 in the second link. Not sure if the same assemblies worked for all triggers, just either plastic or metal head assemblies?

http://www.gun-parts.com/harringtonrichardson/
http://www.gun-parts.com/harringtonrichardson/feb05_10.jpg

EDIT:

I just took the side plate off the grip. It appears I have the metal head assembly version. See #26 and #27 here @ Numrich on their parts list. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...on-33274/Revolvers-36449/923-38107.htm?page=3

It appears just the spring for it is sold out. Any idea where to get the spring alone (much cheaper), or would it be advisable to simply purchase the whole assembly? Again, any assistance appreciated.

·
Registered
669 Posts
DrkSdeOTM,
Save yourself some time and money. Install a spacer at the end of the spring to beef it up. When you cock the hammer back in single-action you should see a small hole at the end of the spring shaft. Put a small wire in that hole to hold the seat in place, and then ease your hammer forward and you should be able to easily lift the mainspring assembly out of the grip area. Be careful when installing the spacer because the spring will have to be compressed enough to remove the wire you inserted, plus pushing the spring down far enough to install the spacer and reinstall the seat with the wire inserted back in place to hold the whole assembly until it is reinstalled. A couple of small washers usually suffice as a spacer.
Good luck!
Old Gun Guy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DrkSdeOTM,
Save yourself some time and money. Install a spacer at the end of the spring to beef it up. When you cock the hammer back in single-action you should see a small hole at the end of the spring shaft. Put a small wire in that hole to hold the seat in place, and then ease your hammer forward and you should be able to easily lift the mainspring assembly out of the grip area. Be careful when installing the spacer because the spring will have to be compressed enough to remove the wire you inserted, plus pushing the spring down far enough to install the spacer and reinstall the seat with the wire inserted back in place to hold the whole assembly until it is reinstalled. A couple of small washers usually suffice as a spacer.
Good luck!
Old Gun Guy
If I post some pics up of the spring later tonight do you think you could tell from the pics whether the spring is my issue? I have a very nice camera with macro/super macro function. Looked at it last night, but admittedly I do not have much experience with revolvers. If that is the problem I will do what you say as I cannot seem to locate a mainspring for the life of me. Was hoping to keep it in "stock" form.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Old Gun Guy...here are some photos of the mainspring, and also of the firing pin when I did exactly as you said. Some other photos as well so you can get an idea as to the exact model of 923 we're discussing.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DrkSdeOTM,
Good luck!
Old Gun Guy
When you say install a spacer (washers) I assume you mean part where the spring attaches to the grip (shown in pic #1 posted above in post #12) between the spring and the metal head? Of course, unless you see something else wrong in the pictures posted. Thanks for all the help so far!

·
Registered
120 Posts
DrkSdeOTM,

Can you remove the mainspring & guide assembly as Old Gun Guy says and take a photo of it? I would like to see the condition of the top of the guide. I tend to agree that your problem lies in the mainspring area.

Sprint

·
Registered
120 Posts
DrkSdeOTM,

Thanks for the photo of the mainspring assembly. I see nothing glaringly wrong from the photos. You will notice the slight bend in the guide rod that was probably done at assembly of the revolver to assure the hammer rebounded enough to allow the sear to engage with the "safety" notch on the hammer.

Did the revolver misfire when fired single action or double action or both?

Sprint

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DrkSdeOTM,

Thanks for the photo of the mainspring assembly. I see nothing glaringly wrong from the photos. You will notice the slight bend in the guide rod that was probably done at assembly of the revolver to assure the hammer rebounded enough to allow the sear to engage with the "safety" notch on the hammer.

Did the revolver misfire when fired single action or double action or both?

Sprint
Misfired both SA and DA.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts