The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have inherited an H&R Defender 38 Serial #11594. I am trying to get an instruction sheet and any other descriptive literature on this revolver. I have seen pieces of such documents on some posts, but I cannot find something I can print for my records. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Welcome to TFF.
What is the Model Number?

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
Finding any information will not be a simple tasks. H&R was NOT S&W or COLT. They made useable products but they were never collectable.

One note: The revolver should be marked as being for the .38 S&W.

This is NOT the same as .38 S&W Special.

If the gun is in good condition you should ONLY use .38 S&W ammunition.

A search on the internet should get you some information but the chances of finding a manual are real slim.

Post pictures of your new toy when you get a chance. Need help with photos just yell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The model # is 25. I was aware that the revolver uses 38 S&W ammo and have already obtained some and actually fired the revolver at my local range. It is in almost new condition. I have scoured the internet and the only literature I have found is from another person (Kettler) on this site in the Value forum and he has the same gun. I have asked him for help and hopefully he will be willing.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Are you looking for "official" H&R Literature on it, or just info?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A member named Ketleer made a post in the What is it worth forum in July 2012 using Defender 38 as a search method. His post had some pictures of his revolver which is identical to mine and an instruction sheet for this revolver. I was hoping to get that person to scan that instruction sheet and email it to me. I have replied to his posting a few days ago, but so far no response. This site does not let me send a "private message" to him because I have not made 15 posts yet. I am interested in actual literature for this specific revolver. The Cornell pubs has catalogs that include this gun, but it is not very specific info. The instruction sheet on Ketleer's post is very detailed. You can search for his post and see what I mean if you want to. Thanks for your replies so far and any future help.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
A member named Ketleer made a post in the What is it worth forum in July 2012 using Defender 38 as a search method. His post had some pictures of his revolver which is identical to mine and an instruction sheet for this revolver. I was hoping to get that person to scan that instruction sheet and email it to me. I have replied to his posting a few days ago, but so far no response. This site does not let me send a "private message" to him because I have not made 15 posts yet. I am interested in actual literature for this specific revolver. The Cornell pubs has catalogs that include this gun, but it is not very specific info. The instruction sheet on Ketleer's post is very detailed. You can search for his post and see what I mean if you want to. Thanks for your replies so far and any future help.
Might try and "rack" up a few posts so you might private message the member
and ask him about that.;)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
By instruction sheet, do you mean parts schematic? Or are you looking for owners manual type thing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am new here and this is my first post. I have acquired an H & R Defender 38, 4inch blued, 5 shot, top break with both front and rear adjustable sights, serial number 4348. The firing pin is separate from the hammer but pinned to it. I have been in touch with Numrich gun parts and they said it is a Model 25 and manufactured before 1941. The firing pin is broken and I would like to replace it but as with all outdated things, parts are hard to come by. I would be willing to buy a parts gun or the complete hammer & firing pin assembly if I can find one. Any help in this search would be greatly appreciated. This is a great website with many helpful people. Thank you all very much. Have a great day ... jon

·
Registered
768 Posts
I am new here and this is my first post. I have acquired an H & R Defender 38, 4inch blued, 5 shot, top break with both front and rear adjustable sights, serial number 4348. The firing pin is separate from the hammer but pinned to it. I have been in touch with Numrich gun parts and they said it is a Model 25 and manufactured before 1941. The firing pin is broken and I would like to replace it but as with all outdated things, parts are hard to come by. I would be willing to buy a parts gun or the complete hammer & firing pin assembly if I can find one. Any help in this search would be greatly appreciated. This is a great website with many helpful people. Thank you all very much. Have a great day ... jon
Could I trouble you for a picture of that Defender please?

I might be able to find you a replacement from a similar frame gun. ...but those early Defenders always throw me off as to what they are related to. I do know they would be large frame, but I'm not sure if they are Rice-frames or older.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your reply and offer to help. I am attempting to add pics, hopefully they will load. If not please let me know. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thanks for your reply and offer to help. I am attempting to add pics, hopefully they will load. If not please let me know. Thanks again.
Congrats! You got the hard one to find. Those versions of the 38 Defender were limited production. Some books call it the model 299(large frame), others call it the model 25.

Give me some time to look around.. If you provided those pics to Numrich, and they didn't have the matching part, it's going to be one hellava hunt for one unless you buy a parts gun or individual part from an online auction(if someone lists one).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Of course I would have the odd one lol. I would buy a parts gun if I could find one. Since it is "The odd one" I would be hesitant at best to buy it sight unseen but would consider it with good pictures. I do appreciate your help and if you ever find something in your travels or on the net please let me know. Just drop me an e-mail please as I do not check this site often. Thanks again and please have a safe, healthy and Happy new Year. jon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts