The Firearms Forum banner

H&R Incorporated .38 S&W Defender worth?

13K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  chuckj5 
#1 ·
I just got this gun a few months ago and was wondering what its worth, I picked it up for $100 and cant find much info on it here are some pics, any info would help....Thanks Alot..

See less See more
#3 ·
Stevie207,
You have an early example of the Model 925 DEFENDER series. Not many of these are seen with the "bobbed" grip frame and 4" barrel in .38 S&W. If you provide the letter(s) prefixed to the serial number, we can tell year of manufacture.
As your gun appears in the pictures to be in Good to V. Good condition and because of the scarcity of the combination of grip and barrel length - I'm pretty sure it would start around $200 RETAIL and go up from there. The "standard" later variation of the 925 with the 2 1/2" barrel (same grips) is found at retail in that price range.

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Starting pistol

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

#4 ·
Stevie207,
You have an early example of the Model 925 DEFENDER series. Not many of these are seen with the "bobbed" grip frame and 4" barrel in .38 S&W. If you provide the letter(s) prefixed to the serial number, we can tell year of manufacture.
As your gun appears in the pictures to be in Good to V. Good condition and because of the scarcity of the combination of grip and barrel length - I'm pretty sure it would start around $200 RETAIL and go up from there. The "standard" later variation of the 925 with the 2 1/2" barrel (same grips) is found at retail in that price range.

Thanks Alot Jim for the reply, when u say "bobbed" grips is that the grips that are on my gun now or the ones that are suppose to be on it and are the grips on it now any good? seem to fit my hand pretty good....the serial number is AC24xxx.
Does H&R still make guns or have'nt they made guns for a while? Thanks again for all ur help this is my first pistol and i just wanted to learn more about it. I couldnt really find much online until now :)......

Keep throwing lead....

#5 ·
Stevie,
AC = 1966
The "bobbed" (my phrase not H&R's) frames were specially modified to take that odd shapped "bird's head" one piece grip - only found (so far) on the Model 925s and derivatives - such as your piece, and the 4" .22 that I pictured. The "original" M925s had a square butt and took two piece wooden grip panels. Later, the Model 925 was only made with the 2 1/2" barrel and the "bird's head" grip with modified grip frame. The grip on your gun is the one that is supposed to be on your gun. Are they any good? I guess that's up to the user.
The original H&R Inc. went out of business in Jan. of 1986. Successor companies were NEF and H&R 1871 (took over the NEF business in 1991) - all of which was sold to Marlin in 2000, which was subsequently sold to Remington in 2008. Neither Marlin nor Remington made/makes any H&R labeled handguns - only single barrel shotguns and rifles.
You're welcome - glad to help out.

#6 · (Edited)
Stevie,
AC = 1966
The "bobbed" (my phrase not H&R's) frames were specially modified to take that odd shapped "bird's head" one piece grip - only found (so far) on the Model 925s and derivatives - such as your piece, and the 4" .22 that I pictured. The "original" M925s had a square butt and took two piece wooden grip panels. Later, the Model 925 was only made with the 2 1/2" barrel and the "bird's head" grip with modified grip frame. The grip on your gun is the one that is supposed to be on your gun. Are they any good? I guess that's up to the user.
The original H&R Inc. went out of business in Jan. of 1986. Successor companies were NEF and H&R 1871 (took over the NEF business in 1991) - all of which was sold to Marlin in 2000, which was subsequently sold to Remington in 2008. Neither Marlin nor Remington made/makes any H&R labeled handguns - only single barrel shotguns and rifles.
You're welcome - glad to help out.
Thats alot of good info about that gun, like i said i tried finding info about this gun on google or youtube and didnt find the answers i was looking for but this forum/you helped me alot...So the model 925 like mine wasnt made much with the bobbed frame? I also have a NEF 410, i had never heard of them until i got this gun

#9 ·
My grandfather gave me this H&R Defender. I would be interested in knowing the year of manufacture, to me it is priceless so value is not important. Seems like the first time I fired this gun was in the 1940's when grandpa was teaching me gun safety. I intend to pass this one to my son. I saw a manual somewhere on this site I hope to find again, makes a nice package.
Serial # is AA24945.

Attachments

#11 ·
Must have been a different handgun, he did have a good collection and my memory is not as good as I would like to think it is. I was about 8 when I remember the gun and how heavy it was. That was over 60 years ago.
In 1964 I was in the Navy shooting Mark 12 5" 38s. Can't confuse those guns. Those 38s aren't even similar.
Thanks for the info on the H&R.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.